Pellet or Paper Bedding?

Crystal.L

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a litter box for my guinea pigs (even though I know they can't be fully litter trained) and I was wondering which one would be better to use, pellet bedding or paper bedding?

Hello

Soft paper bedding would be better than pellets, which can be very rough on their feet. The only way you would be able to get them to use the litter box is to fill it with lots of hay. May I ask how big the litter box is? It might be easier to just put a big pile of hay in a corner of the cage, and you may find they do most of their business in that area. But of course, as they are piggies, they will go wherever they want 😅
This is what I've done. They still poo everywhere, but a lot of it ends up in the hay pile. I clean it out and put a fresh pile in everyday.
I hope this helps 😊
IMG20220613080657.jpg

Hello

Soft paper bedding would be better than pellets, which can be very rough on their feet. The only way you would be able to get them to use the litter box is to fill it with lots of hay. May I ask how big the litter box is? It might be easier to just put a big pile of hay in a corner of the cage, and you may find they do most of their business in that area. But of course, as they are piggies, they will go wherever they want 😅
This is what I've done. They still poo everywhere, but a lot of it ends up in the hay pile. I clean it out and put a fresh pile in everyday.
View attachment 205847
It's triangular about 1 ft long on the sides. My piggies usually poop in the corners of the litter box and my little one will occasionally "build" a tunnel with the hay and use it as a hiding spot instead of eating lol.

It's triangular about 1 ft long on the sides. My piggies usually poop in the corners of the litter box and my little one will occasionally "build" a tunnel with the hay and use it as a hiding spot instead of eating lol.
Just a suggestion, but maybe you could remove the litter box and just have a pile of hay instead. That way they have more unbroken space in the cage as well. Hay is so much more than food to them. It's food, bedding, a place to hide and to burrow/build tunnels. Having a big pile of hay is so enriching for them 😁

I have a litter box for my guinea pigs (even though I know they can't be fully litter trained) and I was wondering which one would be better to use, pellet bedding or paper bedding?
I agree with some of the previous posts. Most piggies tend to 💩 in hay. I have a very low hay box and most poops end up in there. I change hay everyday, and put a puppy pad in the bottom for wee. Fill with lots hay and they tend to do their business in the box. I tried the pellets but didn’t really work anyway and they are quite hard for their little paws 🐾

Good luck

Attachments

• A1BD85F1-6C48-4468-93C1-21F38BAF2038.webp
    A1BD85F1-6C48-4468-93C1-21F38BAF2038.webp
    123 KB · Views: 24
I used shavings, newspapers and puppy pads in their hay trays.

@Stacey Guinness and Pumpkin that is too many pellets for your piggies. They should only have a tablespoon each per day. I’d also add another hay tray, or a big pile of hay in their cage.

PS love your liner!

Paper bedding. Really recommend the Small Pet Select brand. We use newspaper, paper bedding and hay in a 2x2 c&c grid hay area. Used to use a low sided garden potting tray but Lily can’t jump into trays now so it’s all on the floor :)

I use back to nature pellets in our hay toilet area, I also found them useful when used litter trays as they weighed them down so they couldn’t flip them!

I used shavings, newspapers and puppy pads in their hay trays.

@Stacey Guinness and Pumpkin that is too many pellets for your piggies. They should only have a tablespoon each per day. I’d also add another hay tray, or a big pile of hay in their cage.

PS love your liner!
The reason it is a full bowl is because Guinness has been poorly having had dental work. I was advised by the vet and a local rescue to keep pellets full for couple weeks until he gains some weight. He is doing much better this week though so provide he puts on another 50g ish he will be back to his usual diet!

The reason it is a full bowl is because Guinness has been poorly having had dental work. I was advised by the vet and a local rescue to keep pellets full for couple weeks until he gains some weight. He is doing much better this week though so provide he puts on another 50g ish he will be back to his usual diet!

It’s good he is regaining weight
Hay is the best thing for them to eat to gain weight back though but also prevent further dental issues from occurring.
The issue with gaining weight with pellets is that it is like you gaining weight with chocolate rather than a healthy diet.
Also, pellets just go mushy in the mouth and don’t wear the teeth properly, so if they don’t eat enough hay and fill up on pellets then it risks further dental issues.

It’s good he is regaining weight
Hay is the best thing for them to eat to gain weight back though but also prevent further dental issues from occurring.
The issue with gaining weight with pellets is that it is like you gaining weight with chocolate rather than a healthy diet.
Also, pellets just go mushy in the mouth and don’t wear the teeth properly, so if they don’t eat enough hay and fill up on pellets then it risks further dental issues.
I absolutely agree and you’re right. It is just a short term fix as he lost a significant amount of weight prior to his dental work. Once he gets back up to 1000g il be reducing back down to their normal cup.

He is eating hay, fresh grass and knawing on stuff now so I’m happy with how he is doing.

Also his teeth issues are due to his bone structure…and how he was born. It’s how they’ve grown. It’s possible he may always need regular check ups as his molars are angled.

Back