Pellet free diet advice

AidaB

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Billy pig, has been advised to have a pellet free diet, after having bladder stones removed last Friday.
I suspect I am over thinking this, but do we need to do anything different? We already filter water, and only occasionally feed high in calcium veg. Can he still have the occasional bit of broccoli, spinach, celery etc?
I am guessing veg and occasional forage is enough. Billy has also been prescribed a tiny amount if frusol(diuretic) to encourage him to drink more.
Any advice welcome.

I do feed pellets (mine don’t have bladder issues) but only 2-3 times a week. All I do differently is that I give forage every day they aren’t getting pellets (both fresh and dried but obviously fresh is easier in summer!). They also get a lot of fresh grass.
I tend to feed quite a wet diet (encourages good urination) and I do give more than the recommended one cup of veg.

If he isn’t getting pellets then he can still have some broccoli etc. No calcium diet is not possible nor is it healthy - too low calcium intake can actually cause as many issues as too high. The balance is still wrong.

Thank you. We already feed wet veg.
Good to know that there isn’t much else we can do. Will slightly up the dry forage we have been a little remiss in offering it recently.
Grass in our garden at this time of year is tricky- perhaps I will have another go at growing some.

Thank you. We already feed wet veg.
Good to know that there isn’t much else we can do. Will slightly up the dry forage we have been a little remiss in offering it recently.
Grass in our garden at this time of year is tricky- perhaps I will have another go at growing some.

I don’t mean I feed it physically wet (although that can be done) I mean their diet is wet in that I give a lot more veg than most owners do

Given pellets and water contribute most calcium, without them you do have a bit more flexibility

It sounds like you have Billy’s diet covered. I hand feed individual pellets which they really like so it’s become more of a treat. They get about 4 a day each piggie

Back