Pellet Fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was wondering how much I should feed piggies, do the younger than six month-old piggies have different requirements than the older than six month-old piggies according to pellet fill? Thanks!

Piggies under six months can have unlimited pellets. If they are over six months then they only need a little. You can use the guide on the packet.

Please weigh your piggies once weekly throughout their lives, daily when they are not well or you are suspecting a problem; always at the same time in the feeding cycle to minimise the influence of a full/empty tummy/bladder, which can make up to 30g difference.

During the first 4-6 months of their lives, guinea pigs grow very quickly. In order to cover their small extra need of calcium and protein, you can either give them unlimited pellets or a handful of alfalfa hay daily. Most widely available pellets are alfalfa based, so if you'd rather give alfalfa hay, you need to limit the pellets to max. 40g per piggy per day. If you feed less, the quick growth phase will simply last longer until the piggies have realised their ideal body size, so it is not a matter of stuffing babies. Guinea pigs are very flexible when it comes to growth and can make up lost ground even in their second year of life if necessary.

I would recommend that you rather feed the pellets in portions than just top up the bowl, as youngsters can be scatty and soil up the bowl.

Once the weekly growth rate is slowing down or stopping, you can either stop the alfalfa hay feed or start to reduce the daily pellet intake very gradually to the half to handful (10-20g) of pellets that fully grown adults need from 12-15 months onwards.

Pellets should only make 5-10% of a good piggy diet, veg about 10-15% (i.e. ca. 50g of a veg mix that contains at least one high vitamin C veg or herb) and hay should make up to 80% of the daily food intake for good health and fitness.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...veg-and-fruit-list-with-vitamin-c-grading.42/

The healthy weight range of adult piggies can vary between 800g-1500g. Pet piggies tend to weigh about 900g-1300g on average. This is a huge variation, so it makes more sense to check your adult piggies' heft by their ribs - they should not stick out, but should still be felt when you handle them in a healthy piggy. if you can't feel the ribs, then your adult piggy is overweight.

If your adult piggies are very porky, reduce the pellet intake if it is higher than our minimum recommendation, but do it gradually or you will have a riot on your hands! Overweight piggies are at a higher risk of heart failure, not least during an operation.

What will happen if I over feed on the alfalfa? Say, I give them alfalfa hay and they have unlimited alfalfa based pellets, what will happen? Will something bad happen? Just wondering...

Too much calcium can contribute to the formation of bladder stones in the long term. Guinea pigs have developed on a comparatively nutritionally poor diet, so you are doing them no favour by smothering them with kindness. They are also rather small animals, which means that the extra amounts needed are in fact very small! Alfalfa is not a grass, but a legume; it is also known as lucerne.

To be honest, my own current foster babies are growing up perfectly well on a normal good adult diet, as have any of my previous unplanned babies and rehomed youngsters that grew up in a large group. They have all reached their ideal weight and get compliments from the vet for being just what he wants to see!

Unfortunately, the vast majority of available pellets are alfalfa based and too high in calcium; that is why we recommend to reduce the amount you feed to 10-20g/ca, 1/2 oz per piggy per daily to avoid the occurrance of bladder stones in guinea pig with a disposition for them. with a good veg diet, they simply do not need as many pellets (they should make only 5% in an adult piggy's diet).

We are currently working on an overview on widely available pellet brands for the US (which should include you), the UK and Australia.

If I somehow find Timothy based pellets, how much will I need to feed adults/babies a day?

About the same amount for adults, as much as they can eat for youngsters under 4 months. From then on in slowly reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back