Pellet brands / names I can trust?

Savyx_x

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I need help finding my babies some good pellets I live in the US but I have one 3 month bby and one that is 7 weeks old I just got her today and I would like to find pellets with close to no calcium but also high in vitamin c and Timothy (obviously) I’m just having trouble finding any that I know I can trust I had Mabel on alfalfa pellets but I’ve stopped since I’ve been told they don’t need them please any recommendations?

I've always trusted Oxbow brand. Essentials Adult Guinea Pig food is better than the juvenile food as the juvenile one includes alfalfa. As you're in the US you can order it from Chewy. Chain pet stores should have it as well.

This guide can give you more information. Section 6 in this guide talks about pellets.
long-term-balanced-general-and-special-needs-guinea-pig-diets

Last edited:
I actually just bought that exact one and I don’t know why I just panicked over looking at the ingredients with all these names I’m unsure of and 2 of them said cacium in the names but it says it has max 0.75% calcium that’s not too bad though right? But also it doesn’t really say anything about vitamin c

assuming you get the same Oxbow pellets we do in the UK, my pair have just finished a bag of them. I've since chucked the bag so I can't double check, but they had the added vitamin C. I've never seen a guinea pig food, even muesli, without added vit c.

I actually just bought that exact one and I don’t know why I just panicked over looking at the ingredients with all these names I’m unsure of and 2 of them said cacium in the names but it says it has max 0.75% calcium that’s not too bad though right? But also it doesn’t really say anything about vitamin c
Oxbow is a trustworthy brand. Vets in the US recommend it. You should be fine, but if you have any concerns ask your vet.

Mine are on versele laga cavia complete at the moment.
I looked at oxbow but to me, it seemed full of fillers and it had added sugar so I decided against it.

This chart may help you - not sure which ones you can easily get in the US though.
All pellets contain a lot of calcium and most do contain a lot of fillers, even the lowest calcium ones so whichever brand you use you need to make sure it is only one tablespoon per pig per day and that water is filtered.
Nugget Comparison Chart

Hi I need help finding my babies some good pellets I live in the US but I have one 3 month bby and one that is 7 weeks old I just got her today and I would like to find pellets with close to no calcium but also high in vitamin c and Timothy (obviously) I’m just having trouble finding any that I know I can trust I had Mabel on alfalfa pellets but I’ve stopped since I’ve been told they don’t need them please any recommendations?

Honestly in USA, Oxbow is one of the only things I would choose to feed my pigs. Oxbow is GREAT for guinea pigs, however I will just add here that I do NOT recommend their hamster food as it is completely inappropriate for hamsters.

I believe the Oxbow one that is recommended by piggie people in the US is Garden Select, it is the most expensive (of course!) but doesn't contain the cheap fillers.

Back