Pee pad problem!

LilyandNugget

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I use pee pads with fleece mats above them. Unfortunately, my guinea pigs love to hide under the fleece mats. They spend a lot of time there. They are ‘passionate chewers’ so most of the time I find the pee pads chewed up. I want to switch to bedding but I can’t find any good ones here. Whenever I buy the dust free ones I find that they collect a bit of dust. And whenever I find good bedding, they come in small portions and are terribly expensive. Even though I’m willing to pay a bit extra for my guinea pigs, they are also very hard to find considering having guinea pigs as pets aren’t that common in where I live. Does anyone have any tips on how to stop my guinea pigs from going under the fleece?

Have you tried clipping the fleece to the cage or ensuring it is held down with heavy hides.
Some piggies do just like being under things.

Have you tried giving very large piles of loose hay so they can get into big piles of hay instead?

Just in case you’d like an idea of size and cost. I have recently changed to Carefresh and I think I’ll stick with it. So my pen is 2x4 c&c with two female piggies. I bout a 60ltr bag of Carefresh for £22. It covered the base to just under an inch thick or so and I have about a quarter of a bag left over for spot cleaning and it’s very compacted in the bag so I’m hoping it will do a while. Time will tell how long a bag lasts, I’m hoping maybe one and a half bags a month…?

Have you tried clipping the fleece to the cage or ensuring it is held down with heavy hides.
Some piggies do just like being under things.

Have you tried giving very large piles of loose hay so they can get into big piles of hay instead?
No, i haven’t. I put heavy hides in their cage but they somehow manage to get underneath the fleece. I’ll try to clip it to the cage. Thanks.
Just in case you’d like an idea of size and cost. I have recently changed to Carefresh and I think I’ll stick with it. So my pen is 2x4 c&c with two female piggies. I bout a 60ltr bag of Carefresh for £22. It covered the base to just under an inch thick or so and I have about a quarter of a bag left over for spot cleaning and it’s very compacted in the bag so I’m hoping it will do a while. Time will tell how long a bag lasts, I’m hoping maybe one and a half bags a month…?
you, I think I’ve seen Carefresh in my local pet store before. I think I’ll check it out. Thank you so much for the help.

Back