Pebble chasing Patrick 🤨

weepweeps

Senior Guinea Pig
Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Over the last month or so Pebble who is 2 years and 3 months has started chasing Patrick who is only 10 months old.

My question is could it be that as Patrick is getting older and larger Pebble is feeling a little less sure about being the boss? So feels he has to make his stand just in case Patrick tries a takeover.

Pebble will chase Patrick around and around the cage with Patrick submission squealing and running away. To me it doesn’t look like Patrick is doing any of the chasing. But Patrick is getting a bit annoyed with it I think.

They have two of everything so don’t have to share anything and veggies and pellets are sprinkle fed. It seems to me that Pebble seeks out Patrick to annoy him. Then Pebble popcorns around like it’s all a big game and looks very happy with himself. While Patrick looks confused and annoyed. I’m keeping a close eye on them. But I really don’t want them to fall out. 🥺

IMG_7276.webp

Here they are looking sweet.

Over the last month or so Pebble who is 2 years and 3 months has started chasing Patrick who is only 10 months old.

My question is could it be that as Patrick is getting older and larger Pebble is feeling a little less sure about being the boss? So feels he has to make his stand just in case Patrick tries a takeover.

Pebble will chase Patrick around and around the cage with Patrick submission squealing and running away. To me it doesn’t look like Patrick is doing any of the chasing. But Patrick is getting a bit annoyed with it I think.

They have two of everything so don’t have to share anything and veggies and pellets are sprinkle fed. It seems to me that Pebble seeks out Patrick to annoy him. Then Pebble popcorns around like it’s all a big game and looks very happy with himself. While Patrick looks confused and annoyed. I’m keeping a close eye on them. But I really don’t want them to fall out. 🥺

View attachment 259000

Here they are looking sweet.
Like butter wouldn't melt 😂

Was Pebble dominant before or was he still too young when with Pepper?
It was weird. Neither pepper or pebble showed any dominance. I always fed and handled pepper first as he was the oldest. But they didn’t seem to mind either way.

Sounds a bit like my two, Panko loves to chase Pringle every now and again, these two don’t hump each other like pepper who would go on a humping rampage every now and again.

Sounds a bit like my two, Panko loves to chase Pringle every now and again, these two don’t hump each other like pepper who would go on a humping rampage every now and again.
I’ve never seen either of them hump each other.

Young Patrick is at the 9-10 months mark where there is a hormone spike - i wonder whether that might have something to do with it and pebble feels the need to just assert himself to make his position clear.
That’s what I’m hoping it is. But we did have some teeth chattering today. I don’t want it to escalate 😬

I'm wondering if Pebble is insecure as a dominant and reacting to a subtle hormone spike that you (thankfully) can't smell. Maybe reinforcing his position?
As you know, I'm not the most experienced.....
Posted at the same time with my WiFi lag🤣

I’m just extra worried as years ago I had four single piggies after bad advice from pets at home. 😡

I’m just extra worried as years ago I had four single piggies after bad advice from pets at home. 😡

This is a very different situation. Try not to worry.
Bear in kind that fall outs at this stage are less common than at the 6 months mark.

Lots of enrichment to keep their minds occupied and hopefully they will settle.

Maybe just change it up to keep them interested. Mine enjoy having to work for it when it's stuffed into a little log, willow ball or a paper bag. You might have to visit hotel chocolat.....it worked for @Merab 🤣. Or some different treats, the boys thoroughly enjoyed destroying their forage baskets.20241012_170600.webp
Obviously still have plenty of other hay too.

Nibble sticks?

If you mean pieces of apple wood or willow to chew on theyre fine.

If you mean sticks which hang on the cage and have bits of food attached to them then be very careful. They are usually full of seeds, honey and are therefore a risk of choking and unhealthy. Piggies shouldn’t eat them

Back