Pea Flakes....Bad?

Storm1974

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My two boys absolutely love their treat balls with pea flakes in! 🥰 They love pushing them around the cage to get the flakes out and I give them their toy every day with quite a few pea flakes in, and they usually finish them.....Is this bad? 😕

I do feel that, apart from the enjoyment of the actual pea flakes, these toys do stop boredom and keep them active, but there's nothing else really I can add to them, because they don't like their pellets enough to put pellets in them instead.

I think I read that pea flakes can cause bladder stones if they have too many, does anybody know if that's true? 😕

Thinking about it, I think the solution could be adding less pea flakes and also putting a few pellets in the ball as well, which should (Theoretically) stop the pea flakes coming out as easily? 🤔

My two boys absolutely love their treat balls with pea flakes in! 🥰 They love pushing them around the cage to get the flakes out and I give them their toy every day with quite a few pea flakes in, and they usually finish them.....Is this bad? 😕

I do feel that, apart from the enjoyment of the actual pea flakes, these toys do stop boredom and keep them active, but there's nothing else really I can add to them, because they don't like their pellets enough to put pellets in them instead.

I think I read that pea flakes can cause bladder stones if they have too many, does anybody know if that's true? 😕

Thinking about it, I think the solution could be adding less pea flakes and also putting a few pellets in the ball as well, which should (Theoretically) stop the pea flakes coming out as easily? 🤔
Could you stop giving pellets in bowls and just give them in their ball?

Mine only get pellets at medication time because it makes medication time fun. They start to appreciate them more.

My 3 get 3 pea flakes and 3 dried apple cubes each night and then a bowl of forage for supper before I go to bed. The girls love pea flakes so much that there would be a riot if I stopped. They aren't overweight and are very healthy. This doesn't mean that other piggies should have the same, obviously. They have a good diet other than the pea flakes and apple cubes.

Try giving fewer pea flakes and mixing in some pellets they’ll still enjoy it and stay active.

Back