• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Passing Lots of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today i found loads & i mean loads of blood in Wilburs hutch, i thought something had gotten into his hutch & killed him.
There were 3 patches, 1 approx 4" square the other 2 a bit smaller & it was bright red blood, not watered down.
At first i thought it was coming from his bottom as there were pellets (not normal shaped) in it. I brought him in & inspected him, his willy was all bloody too, i washed him & put him on fleece in a cage in the house.
More blood, again with pellets on it. Still bright red like you'd cut your finger, we've been to the vets & it's definitely coming from his penis.
This wasn't the guinea savvy vet, we see her tomorrow.
The outcome from today was 0.2ml Baytril twice a day & i've to syringe him 5ml of water every hour.
The vet thought it may be cystitis, kidney stones, bladder infection, urethra probs or a tumour, hopefully the vet tom will do a scan or an x-ray & get to the bottom of it.
On the plus side Wilbur seems happy enough if a little subdued & isn't eating any food but i've syringe fed him some, which he hated at first but got the hang of it.
I'll let you know what happens tom

EDIT: I gave him some dandelion leaves about 30 mins ago but he's not touching them :(

This is awful, poor Wilbur. Fingers crossed for him Niki, and hope he has a comfortable night......
Niki x

Oh no poor little Wilbur :smitten: :smitten:

Niki is he eating now? He maybe in pain have you got meds for this?

Come on Wilbur take your meds and water and get rid of this nasty infection :(

Niki don't forgot pain relief babe, pigs don't do well with pain :(

Fingers crossed for Wilbur today x

awww fingers crossed poor little man let us know when you hear anything new :-* for wilbur

I'm happy to say he ate the dandies last night & at 2 this morning i was out on the corner of the street picking him grass off the verge ;D We don't have any grass in our garden, but it's coming. :)

This morning he's eaten all the grass & left 6 leaves, he's brighter in himself & i've seen no more blood & his poops are back looking like man-pig poops. O0

He's more like my Wilbur - fighting with the syringe & trying his hardest to escape out the towel, bluddy annoying but lovely at the same time. Roll on 2.45 ;D

We saw the lovely piggy vet. She didn't see the need to scan him as he's perky in himself & has gained weight. Yesterday he was 974g & today he's 1054g. She inspected his penis & felt his testicles; they were fine. She manipulated his bladder & said it felt "thickened," which, she said was most probably due to the infection (most likely cause cystitis) & said that bladder stones can be felt but she couldn't feel any.  When the vet manipulated his bladder last night he squeaked his bonnet off but not a peep today.
He's to finish his course of antibiotics & i'm to carry on syringing 5ml of water every hour for the next 3-4 days & i've to give him grass

If it happens again i'm to take him back & then they will scan him.  I can see he's different in himself, he's more "Wilbur" today & is eating as i type.  I am so relieved & thank you everyone for you kind wishes  :)

Well done Wilbur O0 O0 O0 O0 Good effort, now keep on eating and you'll get better real soon :-* :-* :-* :-* :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back