• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Passing large tissue

pookah

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello I'm having quite a serious issue. My female pig got sick recently, first we noticed she was drinking more water than usual and then I noticed she was peeing a lot and her bottom would be wet all over. I tried to make an appointment for her to get checked when I noticed the water situation but they were booking out months in advance. Finally she started being lethargic and peeing blood, first a little then a lot. But she continued to eat and drink almost like normal.
I took her to the emergency vet and they tried to do an ultra sound but couldn't get a clear reading, 500$ later they tell me maybe she has cancer and that either way she probably needs surgery and that's not something they can do.
I took her home with pain meds and antibiotics. Since then she's pushed out at least four LARGE size pieces of tissue, but continues eating and drinking like normal with occasional bouts of lethargy but acting almost normal. Its the craziest thing and I can't tell if she's going to get better or worse. And I've looked everywhere but can't find any similar experiences to this.
The tissue pieces have gone from about a dime size, to quarter size, to half dollar size over time.
I sent a picture to the vet and she said she'd look at it but never responded after that.

Hello I'm having quite a serious issue. My female pig got sick recently, first we noticed she was drinking more water than usual and then I noticed she was peeing a lot and her bottom would be wet all over. I tried to make an appointment for her to get checked when I noticed the water situation but they were booking out months in advance. Finally she started being lethargic and peeing blood, first a little then a lot. But she continued to eat and drink almost like normal.
I took her to the emergency vet and they tried to do an ultra sound but couldn't get a clear reading, 500$ later they tell me maybe she has cancer and that either way she probably needs surgery and that's not something they can do.
I took her home with pain meds and antibiotics. Since then she's pushed out at least four LARGE size pieces of tissue, but continues eating and drinking like normal with occasional bouts of lethargy but acting almost normal. Its the craziest thing and I can't tell if she's going to get better or worse. And I've looked everywhere but can't find any similar experiences to this.
The tissue pieces have gone from about a dime size, to quarter size, to half dollar size over time.
I sent a picture to the vet and she said she'd look at it but never responded after that.

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear this. The only advice I can give you is to see a vet again, maybe another to get a second opinion. Pushing out tissue does sound to me to be quite a serious issue. Is your vet an exotics? Hopefully someone else on the forum can offer you more advice. I really do hope your piggie will be OK.

My 🌈 piggie Heidi began bleeding (no tissue) so we rushed her to the vet and she had a scan that showed she had a uterine tumor. She was taken straight into surgery to have it removed and be spayed. Did the vet mention an xray?

:agr:

It would definitely be best to take your piggy back to the vet.

In the meantime, and if you haven’t already, switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh her daily so you can monitor hay intake and step in/adjust syringe feeding accordingly to ensure she is definitely eating enough while unwell.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Hope you can get in at the vets as soon as possible. Good luck.

I hope that you can get her in at the vets.

It is good that her guts are still moving but the tissue bits may be causing a bit of a blockage as they move through the gut, which would account for her phases of lethargy. I am keeping my fingers crossed firmly crossed!

Oh poor piggy! Definitely back to the vets I would think... Maybe try a new vet or have a look for a more GP savvy vet x

Back