Pampered Piggies...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choco&Robin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So our two boys who've been with us just less than a week and who have settled in absolutely brilliantly got their first nail trim and boar cleaning today.

Nail trim was fine and they both seemed to actually enjoy it. Having adopted them at an approximate age of 5 months I can only assume that they had never had their claws trimmed or had proper boar cleanings. Even that they seemed to enjoy, and believe me I know how wrong that sounds haha.

I just felt that having sat in their teeny tiny adoption prison for most of their lives I had to make sure for my own peace of mind that they were clean and healthy 'down there'. Does that sound wrong?

I can't help it, I want to and will do anything I can to keep these boys healthy. But oh dear god! The smell! I have recently found youtube to be my enemy in terms of I'll stay up the majority of the night watching various videos on piggie care and just general stuff. A couple of the videos I watched mentioned it might smell a 'little'.....but nothing prepared me for what assaulted my senses and no doubt their sensitive little noses. Have scheduled a monthly 'pampering' session to keep them and me happy.

In other news....going to give them their first bath tomorrow so they're both 100% squeaky clean :) Wish me luck haha

Hi and :wel:!

You will find lots of help and very lovely people on this forum! Please do not hesitate to ask any questions!
There are lots of threads in each category of the forum with lots of help

Guinea pigs should get their claw trims before they curl, That is a little bit more than once a month so maybe once every 1 1/2 - 2 months :D Most pigs hate getting their claws done, but it's not all that bad if you know how to hold them down and get them in the right position.

Bathing should only be done very rarely as it can remove the natural oils in their skin, It's best not to bath them anymore than once every 4 months. Piggies hate the water and can get really stressed, bathe them with a cloth in the water so their claws can get a grip on that. Also don't bath them with any more than 1 to 2 inches of water and don't get water anywhere past their ears.

Piggies don't smell! I never heard such a thing, lol. If your using bedding it should be changed once or twice a week and spot cleaned everyday. Fleece need to be changed every 3 -4 days :)

Good Luck with your pigs!

Did you mean the boar cleaning assaulted your nose? Lol loved your description.

Yeah it did. I wasn't quite prepared haha. Next time I will be though, but hopefully it wont be as bad as I did it already if that makes sense?

Gizi - Thanks, everyone I've encountered so far seem lovely. Also I didn't mean the pigs smell, neither they or their cage do lol. I'm on poop patrol every day and spot clean daily. Firm believer in squeaky clean (ish) surroundings for the piggies

Hi and :wel:to the forum!
We'll look forward to pigtures of your boys. It is recommended to trim your pigs' nails once a week, so it's little and often. It will get them used to the experience and instead of trimming a lot of nail in one go. Bathing shouldn't be done any more often than 5 months, unless for a medical reason except bum baths. Teeth will be trimmed down themselves if you have chews, cardboard tunnels, log tunnels or cardboard boxes for them to chew.

Hi and :wel:to the forum!
We'll look forward to pigtures of your boys. It is recommended to trim your pigs' nails once a week, so it's little and often. It will get them used to the experience and instead of trimming a lot of nail in one go. Bathing shouldn't be done any more often than 5 months, unless for a medical reason except bum baths. Teeth will be trimmed down themselves if you have chews, cardboard tunnels, log tunnels or cardboard boxes for them to chew.
I thought the hay was what mostly wore the teefs down? Crap now I'm stressing out.

Aww you're such a good piggy mum :)
Boars bottoms can get very smelly and they seem to enjoy spreading their scent around by dragging their bums!

Lots of hay will ware their teeth down but they do love a good chew on...anything they can. Cardboard boxes seem to be a favourite of my boys and a willow ball with hay inside (a great find on amazon).

Aww you're such a good piggy mum :)
Boars bottoms can get very smelly and they seem to enjoy spreading their scent around by dragging their bums!

Lots of hay will ware their teeth down but they do love a good chew on...anything they can. Cardboard boxes seem to be a favourite of my boys and a willow ball with hay inside (a great find on amazon).
I have been thinking of willow balls, but, on the labels in the pet shop, it says 'supervise your pet with this toy' , so I did not bother, as if it is for them to chew on, I am not going to watch them chewing, or take it out during the day when I am at work....
Or is it just H&S again? Just like at work?

I gave mine a willow ball and they liked it, but it made me nervous as far as a choking hazard it breaks into little pieces. I have the small sticks/logs and they like those.

Hay wears the teeth down as well, I expected @Choco&Robin would already know to give them hay.

Haha of course I know to give them hay lol. I give them 2 big handfuls every morning along with their veggies which I call their piggie salad. In the evening I give them another handful of hay as well as another bowl of veggies. I give them fresh guinea pig nuggets in the afternoon along with a water change. I have got a proper little routine going :)

Here me and Choco were, minding our own business, having a cuddle. When our youngest cat, Dylan, decided to hop on up and lay down in my lap. Neither of them cared about the other. And yes, of course, I made sure they were both safe.

Attachments

• IMG-20140907-WA0000.webp
    IMG-20140907-WA0000.webp
    43.4 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back