Pal for a young bereaved piggie

Ailurus

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi folks,
First time post, please be nice 🙂

One of our five-year-old's two piggies, who we had around Christmas from an apparently-reputable shop, has sadly lost her battle with recurrent URI which set in within a few days of bringing them home. She had several vet trips and finished two rounds of different antibiotics but seems to have got pneumonia and went downhill very rapidly over the weekend. We are heartbroken and her housemate is clearly missing her a lot.

We'd like to get remaining piggie a new pal ASAP so that her health doesn't suffer from loneliness. We're not keen to go back to the same shop but we're not sure who is a reliable source of happy healthy pigs locally.

She is a Cali girl aged about 4.5 months, usually quite feisty, likes basil and chicory and burrowing in her hay to make sure half of it ends up on the floor.

We are in South Wales not too far from the Severn Bridge. Is there a trustworthy rescue or breeder locally we should contact? Does anyone have any recommendations for 'dating' unfamiliar females to make sure they're compatible, particularly during Covid?

Hello and welcome
So sorry your little piggie lost her battle, that’s so sad
Have you thought about a good rescue? They may be able to offer bonding with your remaining piggie
Here is the link to out Rescue Locator All the piggies are health checked before they are put for adoption, there’s one in South Wales and one in Bristol that are great, you are best calling then/emailing and ask about finding a new companion for your bereaved piggie
Rescue Locator

Hallo and :wel: to our friendly forum, sorry it's not in happier circumstances.

Have you seen the rescue locator? Rescue Locator There are a few rescues in the South Wales/South West area, including Little Wheekers near Bristol. Glynneath GPR is a bit further probably. Hopefully one of the rescues shown will be able to take your little one for "dating" to find a compatible friend, that is the best way, and allowed during Covid especially if your sow is pining after losing her friend.
How is your sow at present? Is she eating and drinking normally? It might be an idea to start weighing her regularly to make sure she is eating enough. If she isn't, then she will need to be found a friend as soon as possible - she is quite young to be on her own.
Best of luck in your search!

Hi and welcome

Here are our tips on what you can do for a bereaved companion in the immediate and medium term. Unless they stop eating and drinking, you should give them time to do their own grieving. During this time you can do your own research re. finding a new mate, ideally of your own piggy's choice for a happier long term bond. the guide link also contains a human grieving guide to help you cope with your own strong feelings now and in the coming days as well as a practical guide for bereaved guinea pigs.
Here is the link: Death, Dying, Terminal Illness, Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

PS: Please accept that we are a strictly rescue-friendly non-breeding pet owners forum.

Hi everyone and thanks for your supportive posts. I hadn't seen the rescue locator - probably didn't do enough research before posting, sorry. We will definitely follow up with the local ones as suggested.

Apologies for bringing up the 'b' word, I hadn't read all the way to the end of the forum rules. I completely respect that policy.

Mog seems to be eating fine and has shown interest in some treats we've offered, but she is spending a lot of time standing in her hidey with her back turned, seemingly staring into space. Neither pig had ever shown much interest in the water bottle (we have shown them how it works lots of times) or in a water bowl when we tried that instead (apart from standing in it and pooing in it, predictably). We make sure they get lots of fresh veg and that it retains plenty of water from washing, and that seems to have kept them both weeing fine. We will start weighing Mog now and hopefully she'll keep her weight up. She is the more robust-looking and food-motivated of the two piggies so fingers crossed.

Hi everyone and thanks for your supportive posts. I hadn't seen the rescue locator - probably didn't do enough research before posting, sorry. We will definitely follow up with the local ones as suggested.

Apologies for bringing up the 'b' word, I hadn't read all the way to the end of the forum rules. I completely respect that policy.

Mog seems to be eating fine and has shown interest in some treats we've offered, but she is spending a lot of time standing in her hidey with her back turned, seemingly staring into space. Neither pig had ever shown much interest in the water bottle (we have shown them how it works lots of times) or in a water bowl when we tried that instead (apart from standing in it and pooing in it, predictably). We make sure they get lots of fresh veg and that it retains plenty of water from washing, and that seems to have kept them both weeing fine. We will start weighing Mog now and hopefully she'll keep her weight up. She is the more robust-looking and food-motivated of the two piggies so fingers crossed.

It is normal for piggies to be withdrawn while they are grieving themselves. She should come out of it again within a few days. As long as she is eating she will get enough fluid because the need to drink comes before the need to eat. It also means that she is not pining acutely so you have so time to look for a suitable companion. You can find more detailed information via the bereaved companions guide link in my last post.

No umbrage taken; it was more about showing you where what is on here as we function a bit differently to social media. We are a friendly place.

Welcome to the forum.
So sorry for the loss of your piggy.
One of the forum threads is the Rainbow Bridge thread where you can post a tribute to your girl if you would like to.

I can only echo what others have already said and I hope you can find Mog a suitable companion quickly.

Back