Pairing Guineas

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah81uk

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I have been given a young pair of guinea pigs both believed boars. But I have a older one who is about 18 months to 2 yrs old. Can I introduce them so they can live happily togther or not. They will be in a very large cage ( 2 levels and floor space on each level is 2.5 ft by 4 ft). Any ideas how to introduce and go about rhis please

Are you talking about introducing three guinea pigs? If so, I wouldn't recommend it. Trios of boys rarely work out and may result in three loan boars. I haven't had personal experience of this but I know what boars are like and have heard people's stories, someone who knows a bit more might help soon. I would also double check they are both boys so you don't end up with babies, if you need help telling the sex you can post some pictures. When counting floor space, it's only the biggest floor that counts, rather than levels. So 10 sq. ft. would not be enough for three guinea pigs but is great for two. Can you have two different cages? Is there a way you could split that cage and have your new pair on one level and your other pig on the other level. Then you could get the lone pig another friend ( advice can be found in the behaviour and bonding section ) and have two separate pairs?

Boar trios unfortunately rarely work out, especially when they involve more than one hormonal subadult boar. I would rather recommend to split the levels and rather look for a character compatible boar for your older boar to live with him in the other level.
We have got a number of good standard guinea pig rescues in the UK that offer boar dating for single/bereaved boars at the rescue under expert supervision, so you only come home with a companion if there has been success at no risk to you and your boy. You will also have the assurance that any piggy rehomed from a good rescue has undergone a mandatory quarantine and a health check.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

With members from all over the world, we are grateful if you added your country, state or (for the UK) your county to your details, so we can always give you the appropriate advice and recommendations for your pert of the globe straight away. Click on your name on the trop bar, then go to personal details/location. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back