Pair of female baby guinea pigs

Emma0071

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have recently purchased 2 baby piggies from a family friend. I thought they were 6 weeks old but they are only 5. They are both healthy and eating fine. But I haven't seen them drink anything. Any advice on looking after babies this little would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hello and welcome :) Your babies will drink when they are thirsty (make sure they can reach the spout of the bottle). They are probably getting enough water from their veg. Make sure that their cage is secure and that they can’t squeeze through the gaps and make sure you don’t put them outside for run time as it’s too cold for them

Hello and welcome to the forum
I have two couples, the girls Ginger and Posh are never off the water bottles and the other pair Hector and Kiki never drink from either the water bowl or water feeder, so try not to worry too much. As long as they are eating loads of hay then that’s the most important thing. Place a bowl of water in their cage and see if they prefer the bowl to a feeder

Hello and welcome :) Your babies will drink when they are thirsty (make sure they can reach the spout of the bottle). They are probably getting enough water from their veg. Make sure that their cage is secure and that they can’t squeeze through the gaps and make sure you don’t put them outside for run time as it’s too cold for them
Thank you very much for replying. Do you have a rough idea of what they should be weighing at the moment also

Hello and welcome to the forum. I had the same worry as you when I first got my two boars. They drank nothing for about 6 months. They were peeing fine so I stopped worrying. They were getting their water from the veggies. Then one day they had slightly soft poops. So I had to take them off their veggies for three days! I was so worried again. But a miracle happened. They used their water bottles. Phew. Once they started to have veg again they didn’t drink again until we had a heatwave and then they started to drink. Clever piggies. As long as they are peeing (getting their bedding wet) I wouldn’t worry.

6BC585EE-3B41-4A12-A03E-841885A2BAD0.webp
❤️

Should i be worried they are 193g and 190g
That is very small for their age as a 3 week old should ideally weigh around 250g but don’t worry, feed them a balanced diet and weigh them weekly and so long as they are gaining, they should soon catch up

Last edited:
:agr:

Weigh them regularly, look for weight gains and they will catch up.

How many pups were in the litter? - the more pups the smaller they tend to be.

Back