• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Oxbow Vitamin C Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggylover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi Can anyone please recommend some different vitamin c tablets please. I recently ran out of my oxbow tablets and so ordered some new ones and they have changed the recipe!, they are now like really hard compressed hay nuggets and neither of my pigs will eat them, ive tried to crush them and its impossible and ive tried soaking them in water as well . THe old tablets they loved and would take from your hand but these will not be touched :(. I need to get vitamin c into one of my pigs as hes still not eating much veggies and for last few days i don't think hes been getting enough :(

It's been thoroughly researched by my friend who runs the piggy clinic, she will have looked into every single ingredient so I would think it's ok. I can check if needed though.

how to give it Helen ? do you put in water and syringe to pig or do you syringe it neat?

It's been thoroughly researched by my friend who runs the piggy clinic, she will have looked into every single ingredient so I would think it's ok. I can check if needed though.
yes please - I'm just curious as one reason we're advised to limit carrots in diet is because they are high in vitamin E

It is syringed, don't put it in the water bottle. I haven't needed to use it in a while though, so will go remind myself of the dose.

Sorry, not neat (have edited my post above)- 15 drops in 25-40 ml of water and syringe throughout the day.

right thankyou. my only problem being now is that the bank holiday post is going to mean i wont receive it till best part of next week . Is there one i can get from chemist that's safe? just till it arrives x

I think you can give the effervescent ones it you allow it to go flat but am not sure on the mg or dosing. Hopefully someone will be along who knows. The alternative is Pro C from Pets at Home which is a probiotic which contains vitamin C.

what confuses me about this product is it's got some other vitamins in it - including vitamin E ... Is this OK?

yes please - I'm just curious as one reason we're advised to limit carrots in diet is because they are high in vitamin E

Sorry - it's me getting muddled - I have checked old posts and carrots shouldn't be given in high quantities as they are high in Vitamin A.

I do however note that this product contains Vitamin A ....

Go to Boots or the like. Buy some standard vitamin c tablets, normal strength. Cut one in half and syringe in with some mashed up nuggets. The half tablet can be poked into the end of the syringe, so you can be sure your piggy has taken it. You only need to do this once a day.

A pig's metabolism works so quickly that any vitamin c they don't need is expelled in the urine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back