Oxbow Senior Food

DorisG

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Does anyone on here feed their adult piggy the oxbow senior food? I understand that it has nutrients in it for the health of an adult piggie. However, I am told that it also contains alfafa meal? I don't know why oxbow would make a senior food containing alfafa meal. Do you think it is safe to feed an adult guinea pig this product. I will need to compare the ingredients to the Adult Guinea Pig food, or call Oxbow.

I’ve just looked it up and yes it does contain alfalfa.
For that reason alone I would not feed it.
A senior piggy is absolutely fine on normal pellets.
If there is an additional benefit to such a product for a senior piggy ie joint supplements that you were looking for then it would be best to speak to your vet about any additional needs your piggy has

I am in the U.S and I don't know if Oxbow Products are available in the U.K. However, I understand they have a new food Senior Guinea Pig Food which I am told has extra nutrients for senior guinea pigs. I purchased it, but see that it has Alfafa meal as one of the ingredients. Does Alfafa cause bladder stones and does anyone on here think that I should not be feeding these pellets to my senior piggy. He has always been on the Oxbow Adult Guinea Pig Food. Any thoughts or advice?

I am in the U.S and I don't know if Oxbow Products are available in the U.K. However, I understand they have a new food Senior Guinea Pig Food which I am told has extra nutrients for senior guinea pigs. I purchased it, but see that it has Alfafa meal as one of the ingredients. Does Alfafa cause bladder stones and does anyone on here think that I should not be feeding these pellets to my senior piggy. He has always been on the Oxbow Adult Guinea Pig Food. Any thoughts or advice?

Please do see my reply on the thread you made yesterday about this subject. I have merged your two threads into one.

No, I would not feed it. It’s rather a sales gimmick (the same as the pellets for baby piggies is also a gimmick) and not needed, also not recommended given it contains alfalfa.

If there is an additional benefit to such a product for a senior piggy ie joint supplements that you were looking for then it would be best to speak to your vet about any additional needs your piggy has
Thank you so much for your response. Although, sometimes, vets (especially in the U.S.) do not know much about exotics. I can't imagine why a long time supplier of food for exotics would put alfafa meal into a product for senior guinea pigs. I will go back to feeding him the Adult food and I guess get rid of the bag of Senior.

He had a gastro problem lately (and he was not eating or pooping) so I immediately took him to my vet. They took x-rays and said he was "backed up". I assume that means constipated. I was given cisapride and a powder to syringe feed. He was fine in about a day or two. After taking the x-ray, the vet said I should be giving him a joint supplement, which I have started. It is a tablet made by Oxbow.

Oxbow once made a supplement food (Critical Care), but for some reason it is becoming very difficult to get in the U.S. My vet said they have had an order in for months. I was given another powder (Emeraid). Never heard of it, but he liked it. Have you ever heard of it? In addition to his food, should I be giving him additional C? I don't know if there is enough in his regular food. BTW, my piggy "Gilbert" is about 8 years old. I got him from a shelter about 7 years ago and they were guessing at his age.

Not all commercial products are healthy. Pellets in general are not needed in their diet at all. Personally my piggies are virtually pellet free. They each get just five pellets and are only given then twice a week as a treat. Their diet is purely hay and grass based with one cup of veggies each day.

Ok so piggies do not get constipated.

A piggy who is not eating won’t poop (simply without food going in, there is nothing to come out) and this is why not eating is a serious issue. Piggies need fibre going through their system constantly otherwise they go into stasis. That requires emergency care, the medication cisapride that you were given and urgent round the clock syringe feeding.
This is not constipation - this is the gut shutting down and can be fatal if their gut stops working altogether.

It is essential that you weigh your guinea pigs every week as part of routine care but you switch to daily weight checks when there are health concerns.
The weight checks are the only way to know a piggy is eating hay but also getting syringe feeding during an illness to keep their weight stable. You never want a piggy to lose weight as that means they aren’t eating enough and at just 50g of weight loss, they need help.

Yes, Emeraid is a recovery feed just the same as critical care. Using their normal pellets and mushing them up to use as a syringe feed is the emergency alternative.

There is another issue which can affect some older boys called impaction. This is where they lose muscle strength and are unable to empty poops out their anal sac. They require help with this and older boys may need to be cleared out regularly to stop it becoming a serious issue. By far it does not affect all though.

A piggy with a good hay based diet, a small amount of a variety of and a few pellets absolutely will be getting enough vitamin c. Additional vit c supplementation should never be given as routine unless there is a diagnosed vit c deficiency (scurvy) is actually rather rare. Supplementing unnecessarily can actually cause problems as their bodies get used to abnormally high amounts. We tend to only see one or two cases of scurvy on here each year and even then they tend to be in either cases of neglect in rescue piggies or in piggies who have been supplemented unnecessarily (as I say their bodies get used to abnormally high amounts and then if that level drops from which they have become accustomed to, it responds with scurvy symptoms)

I have added some guides in below which explain more about the issues raised in this thread

Thanks so very much for the information you have given. Helps so much. I will not be feeding the Oxbow Senior Guinea Pig food. Will be going back to the adult guinea pig food which apparently does not contain alfafa. No vitamin C either unless the vet thinks he needs it.

Back