Overweight piggies

Alicia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've accidentally let the piggies get quite fat. I have two females and a neutered male, they live in a shed and have plenty of space, as well as access to the run and free range time when I can sit with them (which I try to do every evening) when I went away in January my dad looked after them and fed them loads (grandparent love!) and I thought it would get better when I got home but I've noticed they are still very overweight so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

They have unlimited hay and are on grass most of the day, they have veggies/herbs including parsley, coriander, basil, mint, cucumber on rotation but I try and limit it to a small amount. They have Sainsbury's own brand pellets and they have a small handful shared between the 3 of them once a day. From tonight I'm going to cut their pellets right down but I can't see any obvious areas where I'm going wrong. Any tips or advice?

I assume you checked their heft to confirm they are overweight rather than the number on the scales?

If there is any change pellets have been overfed them that is a potential area where things may have gone adrift. One tablespoon per pig per day is the recommended amount. It is safest to use a tablespoon measure to ensure accuracy - obviously a ’small handful’ is something which can drift!

They can gain weight on veg also. One cup per pig per day is the recommended amount.

Weight Monitoring and Management
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

I haven't weighed them (but plan to) but their bellies are huge! I am going to be a lot more careful with their pellets because I think this must be where I'm going wrong, I'll keep a table spoon with their food to make sure. I guess I'm overdoing the veggies too but I've always felt that between the 3 of them it's not that much and I worry about getting the balance right with weight but also them getting enough vitamin c, I'll read up some more. Thank you

You need to check their heft. Put your hands around their rib cage (not round their bellies) and see if you can feel their ribs. If you cannot feel ribs at all then they are overweight. If you can still feel ribs but with a thin covering of fat then they are actually of a good size.
Weight checks should be carried out each week as part of routine care and to monitor hay intake, but the number on the scales does not tell you whether they are healthy for themselves (which is why heft is the important factor here).

They get vit c from hay, grass and pellets as well as their veg and so they don’t tend to have vit c issues if they have that balance.
I feed a little more than the one cup of veg per pig per day but I tend to feed a lot of herbs (they do get a slice of pepper and cucumber, as well as some lettuce each day) and fresh forage in summer. I like my piggies to have a fairly ‘wet’ diet ( of course always unlimited hay). I actually don’t feed pellets daily, particularly not in summer, and they tend to only get them three times a week.

The guides explain furthee though

Back