Overweight Piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ma7ie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We took our new rescue piggies to the vet today (both 1 year old boars) for a check up and nail trim. We have had them just over a week and they are very big. The vet has told us that they are both overweight (nearly 1300g each). Obviously for health reasons, I want to help them to be a normal weight so I am looking for advice on how I can manage their weight please. Thank you.

Hello there. How much pellets are you feeding? Piggies over six months do not need many as pellets should only be 5% of their diet. You may find slowly reducing them will help.

Hi, they have two bowls and I put a small handful of pellets (science selective), and another small handful of nature's touch ( which is more like bits of hay, nettle leaves, flowers etc) in each bowl morning and night. They don't seem to eat much of the pellets though. Do you think I should give less? Obviously we haven't had them long and they came to us like this but I want to do what is best for them. Thanks

It sounds like you are not giving much pellets so maybe the previous owners fed more? As you are not giving too many pellets they may lose a bit of weight. You know, many boars weigh 1300 and have big frames so that could be their normal weight. I have one girl who is 741g and one who is 1200g. They are all different.

If your guinea pigs eat veg with Vit C , I wouldn't worry if they don't eat many pellets.

I will follow this thread . My guinea pigs are slightly overweight . The advice I have had from this forum (& my vet ) is ...

avoid the "treats" sold in pet shops - they contain sugar - and guinea pigs don't need these treats.
avoid feeding fruit
avoid carrots , beetroot, baby corn

the best treat to give guinea pigs is hay

Now , all I have to do is practice what I preach

Hi and welcome!

You may find these threads here helpful:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...ng-ideal-weight-overweight-underweight.38805/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

Please be aware that you cannot just reduce the food intake; that is going to force the body to hang onto any fat reserves. Your piggies should lose any gross overweight by being put on a normal diet and having daily run time. They are at the upper edge of the average adult weight (900-1300g), but they are by no means grossly overweight and if they are younger to middle aged adults, not likely to lose a lot as that is their physical prime time. My own piggies' adult weights differ between 700g and 1400g with the majority between 1000-1200g and three of my four boys at the high end or above.

I'd be interested to know how you get on .

As Wiebke has already said , it doesn't appear that your guinea pigs are grossly overweight and a combination of a sensible diet and exercise is the best thing to do.

I think you are in a similar position to me - my vet told me that my guinea pigs are overweight.

The "core" of my guinea pips' fresh veg diet nowadays is the daily veg listed in the post ...

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/
Veg and fresh herbs that can be fed daily:
1 slice of bell or sweet pepper/capsicum of any colour; 1 slice of cucumber; 1-2 chunks of celery; 1 French bean; 1 sprig of coriander/cilantro; 1 one inch strip of spring greens

I'd be interested to know how you get on .

As Wiebke has already said , it doesn't appear that your guinea pigs are grossly overweight and a combination of a sensible diet and exercise is the best thing to do.

I think you are in a similar position to me - my vet told me that my guinea pigs are overweight.

The "core" of my guinea pips' fresh veg diet nowadays is the daily veg listed in the post ...

Veg and fresh herbs that can be fed daily:
1 slice of bell or sweet pepper/capsicum of any colour; 1 slice of cucumber; 1-2 chunks of celery; 1 French bean; 1 sprig of coriander/cilantro; 1 one inch strip of spring greens
and unlimited hay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back