Overly aroused bore keeps mounting his buddy.

Maeneth

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Dear community, I have two very healthy, wonderful boars named Onyx (4 Months) and Tribble (5 Months).

I come here because I am at a loss at the moment, so that is why I seek help after being a long time lurker! Every time I seem to struggle with the piggies, this is my to go place. :)

Tribble takes on the dominant role in their bond together, and he displays this so now and then. I guess this is quite common after reading up on a lot of information here.

What I struggle with right now is that Tribble keeps mounting Onyx, and he does not halt his assault until his he is satisfied which leaves icky glue stuck in Onyx his fur and this has happened twice already! Tribble’s hunt to sate his hormonal desire looks out of control because it often takes well over an hour, and that makes me worry about Onyx his health in general. Yes, there are some teeth chattering overtime and a wrestle, but I do not see them with bite marks, which is a good sign I hope.

Their habitat size is 60 centimeters in width and 1m70 in length, which should be sufficient room for them to roam, I would say. Of course more is always better, and I might be planning on upgrading their habitat.

I hope to get some advice on how I can maybe prevent this behavior to minimize.

Welcome to the forum

You are dealing with teenage boars who are raging with hormones. Their behaviour is rather normal. Hormonal behaviour will continue for many months yet and will continue in spikes lasting a few days a time.

If it becomes excessive to the point that the submissive piggy is constantly harassed, becomes withdrawn, isn’t allowed to rest, loses weight at routine weight checks due to not being able to eat, gets angry and distressed and fights back etc then that can become a different matter.

What you can’t do is ever prevent what is normal behaviour nor should you try to.
If you step in and separate them too much you can actually cause an issue where there wasn’t one.
If you are worried about their bond and the potential for a fight back then you can carry out one separation but you need to be prepared that that separation may give you an answer that they do not want to be together anymore.

All you can do is provide plenty of room.
Ensure you have multiple of everything in their cage and that all hides have two doors. Don’t use anything single exit which can cause one piggy to trap the other inside

Thank you for messaging me on such short notice!

Tribble has been at it for over an hour already and hearing Onyx in distress does bring me worry, but reading your message does however give me some comfort, knowing that their behavior is nothing but normal.

What would you deem excessive? You said it’ll happen in intervals, how long would such last in general?

Their habitat has a lot of room, they can both run if they desire so since I do not clutter their home too much, haha. Of course, they both have a nice wooden archway, so multiple of everything. :)

Thank you for messaging me on such short notice!

Tribble has been at it for over an hour already and hearing Onyx in distress does bring me worry, but reading your message does however give me some comfort, knowing that their behavior is nothing but normal.

What would you deem excessive? You said it’ll happen in intervals, how long would such last in general?

Their habitat has a lot of room, they can both run if they desire so since I do not clutter their home too much, haha. Of course, they both have a nice wooden archway, so multiple of everything. :)

Hi and welcome

The good news that more boar pairs make it through teenage than not.

Excessive mounting means that the piggy at the receiving end doesn't get any respite, whether that is eating, drinking or sleeping. The risk of fights comes when the mounted piggy has had enough and will challenge their pal. As long as this is not the case, you are still in the green zone.
The testosterone spike should settle down within a couple of days.

You may find our teenage guide helpful; it contains information on the major hormone spike periods, measures you can take to remove potential flashpoints, how to evaluate whether a bond is broken or not (without the need of bloody bites) and what you can do if the bond has broken.

Excessive mounting means that the piggy at the receiving end doesn't get any respite, whether that is eating, drinking or sleeping. The risk of fights comes when the mounted piggy has had enough and will challenge their pal. As long as this is not the case, you are still in the green zone.
The testosterone spike should settle down within a couple of days.
Ahh, that clarifies a lot!
You may find our teenage guide helpful; it contains information on the major hormone spike periods, measures you can take to remove potential flashpoints, how to evaluate whether a bond is broken or not (without the need of bloody bites) and what you can do if the bond has broken.
I went through guide! Seems like Onyx the very submissive piggie has to endure a lot more than in the distance future.

Again, many thanks for everything!

I shall keep you guys posted if their behavior suddenly change.

Welcome to the forum. The submission squealing can sound terrible.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m pleased they seem to have calmed down now.

Back