Over Worrying.....

Storm1974

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ever since we lost our two young piggies within six months of each other, I can't stop worrying about my current three boys and am constantly checking on them to make sure they're ok. :(

Every morning I get up and shine a torch straight into their cage to make sure they look ok and just now Rusty wasn't eating hay with the other two (Bramble's in a cage right next door), so I immediately got worried and went to get him out of the cage to check on him. Luckily he was fine and as soon as I put their morning pellets in, he went straight to the bowl and is now sitting eating them with his brother. He also ate his veggies just a while before so it's obvious he was ok! 🙄

It's quite stressful for me because I'm so terrified after losing the last two (both were 'fine' the evening before, but were in a bad way when I found them in the morning, and then each one died within a couple of days -Bracken was only 6 months old and Herbert was around 15 months old, but we'd had them both for only 6 months before they died) about finding either of the three we have now suddenly ill and with nothing that can be done to help them. :(:(

We've only had Rusty and Leo (both around 18 months old) three weeks, but I'm already panicking all the time about them, they are so close as well so it's going to be even worse when one of them dies. Bramble is also our first baby and we love him to bits. I know they're going to die some day, but just hope it's not so soon again, don't think I could take it. :(:(

Of course my other half loves them too and worries but doesn't get as paranoid about them as much as I do. We're trying everything possible that we can to keep them healthy and warm at night. I cover their cage with so much, because when Bracken and Herbert got ill (although they both obviously were ill, before they went downhill, but we didn't realise), both nights were quite cold, so I'm extra careful now to cover them really well during colder nights.

Just finding it a bit much with all the worrying about them constantly. 😞 I'm sat here in tears actually, don't think I've got over the grief of losing both boys so soon within each other, yet.

We don't have any children, so the animals are our children, which I suppose makes it so much harder to deal with, when they die.

Don't think we could stop having animals though despite the heartache. Lost our dog and my dad within two weeks back in 2020 too, and that was one of the worst things ever. :( :(

Hello Storm1974 I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your two young piggies
I understand your worries - we want to do the best for them
When I got Bobby and Geoff in 2020 I was originally going to have them outside but that started all my worries
I decided, as I had enough room indoors , to have them as inside piggies which did alleviate a lot of worries
All you can do is check them , weighing every week, and…. do you use snugglesafes that are heated in the microwave ? They last for about 10 hours and give piggies heat thru the night
You are obviously very caring and doing all you can to look after them …..sadly sometimes genetics/inbreeding can cause early death without knowing why.
Take care and look after yourself ❤️

Ever since we lost our two young piggies within six months of each other, I can't stop worrying about my current three boys and am constantly checking on them to make sure they're ok. :(

Every morning I get up and shine a torch straight into their cage to make sure they look ok and just now Rusty wasn't eating hay with the other two (Bramble's in a cage right next door), so I immediately got worried and went to get him out of the cage to check on him. Luckily he was fine and as soon as I put their morning pellets in, he went straight to the bowl and is now sitting eating them with his brother. He also ate his veggies just a while before so it's obvious he was ok! 🙄

It's quite stressful for me because I'm so terrified after losing the last two (both were 'fine' the evening before, but were in a bad way when I found them in the morning, and then each one died within a couple of days -Bracken was only 6 months old and Herbert was around 15 months old, but we'd had them both for only 6 months before they died) about finding either of the three we have now suddenly ill and with nothing that can be done to help them. :(:(

We've only had Rusty and Leo (both around 18 months old) three weeks, but I'm already panicking all the time about them, they are so close as well so it's going to be even worse when one of them dies. Bramble is also our first baby and we love him to bits. I know they're going to die some day, but just hope it's not so soon again, don't think I could take it. :(:(

Of course my other half loves them too and worries but doesn't get as paranoid about them as much as I do. We're trying everything possible that we can to keep them healthy and warm at night. I cover their cage with so much, because when Bracken and Herbert got ill (although they both obviously were ill, before they went downhill, but we didn't realise), both nights were quite cold, so I'm extra careful now to cover them really well during colder nights.

Just finding it a bit much with all the worrying about them constantly. 😞 I'm sat here in tears actually, don't think I've got over the grief of losing both boys so soon within each other, yet.

HUGS

Losing two piggies close together is very upsetting as I know myself only too well. :(

- Please contact pet bereavement or mental health services for Grieving/Anxiety/PTSD support. Talking is the best thing you can do.
Here is the link to the free Blue Cross pet bereavement platforms: Pet bereavement and pet loss

- Get some microwaveable snugglesafes for cold nights. They provide warmth for them to snuggle against into the night.

- Establish a weekly weigh-in and health check routine; ideally done by another family member.

- You may also find this very practical link with lots of tips helpful, not just for yourself but for your family as well so they can support you better with some fairly small but effective measures which can help to mitigate some of the potential triggers and rabbit holes.

Hello Storm1974 I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your two young piggies
I understand your worries - we want to do the best for them
When I got Bobby and Geoff in 2020 I was originally going to have them outside but that started all my worries
I decided, as I had enough room indoors , to have them as inside piggies which did alleviate a lot of worries
All you can do is check them , weighing every week, and…. do you use snugglesafes that are heated in the microwave ? They last for about 10 hours and give piggies heat thru the night
You are obviously very caring and doing all you can to look after them …..sadly sometimes genetics/inbreeding can cause early death without knowing why.
Take care and look after yourself ❤️
Hi Roselina,

Thanks for your reply. ❤️ We do have them inside, but there's no heating in our living room, although it is well insulated and doesn't get that cold, but this is why I cover their cage over when the temperature does drop outside. None of our pigs have ever lived outside.

We do also weigh them weekly, but can't use the snugglesafes as we don't have a microwave or the room in the kitchen to put one!

Yes I know genetics/breeding can cause early death and having rescue piggies you just never know sadly. Saying that though, Bracken was from a 'good' breeder but he died from a heart issue we think, which could have been genetic and the breeder didn't know. 🤷‍♀️ Anyway, we won't be getting pigs from a breeder again not when there's so many in rescue, and especially as you can't guarantee health and longevity regardless. :(

HUGS

Losing two piggies close together is very upsetting as I know myself only too well. :(

- Please contact pet bereavement or mental health services for Grieving/Anxiety/PTSD support. Talking is the best thing you can do.
Here is the link to the free Blue Cross pet bereavement platforms: Pet bereavement and pet loss

- Get some microwaveable snugglesafes for cold nights. They provide warmth for them to snuggle against into the night.

- Establish a weekly weigh-in and health check routine; ideally done by another family member.

- You may also find this very practical link with lots of tips helpful, not just for yourself but for your family as well so they can support you better with some fairly small but effective measures which can help to mitigate some of the potential triggers and rabbit holes.
Thank you Wiebke. ❤️

Thank you Wiebke. ❤️

Piggies adjust to generally cooler conditions. It is the bigger temperature jumps that are the problem.

Another possible measure: A cardboard box with an entrance cut in that is filled with soft hay for cold nights - hay is a great insulator and the box will prevent additional drafts. Don't overpack the hay - there should be enough to snuggle into but it should not be so solid that your piggies cannot move around. It's the same principle that is also used in hutches. The box also acts as another draft excluder that holds warmth in.

Some tips for hutch and garage set-ups can also be made to work for indoors piggies. ;)

More information and tips in this link here:

Back