• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ovarian or Kidney cysts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Wanted to get some advice. My lil girl Guinea has gone into the vets for a scan this morning at the vets. They said it could be Kidney or ovarian cysts, and they reckon if its ovarian they will have to spay her...I'm just worried about the fact she'll have to go under anesthetic. Hearing some of your storys and comments might help me make a decision.

If its not ovarian, it might be kidney cysts, in which case...what will happen to her?

I hope its neither of these and something less complicated, however she is young (about 6 months), and seems fit and healthy otherwise, just the fact that her rear end seems big. So whatever, I hope she's healthy enough to overcome it.

Cozmo
-x-

Hi Cozmo,

I don't know anything about Kidney Cysts but I have a bit of experience with ovarian cysts with Fluffy. Though I am surprised your vet has needed a scan to confirm this as my vet can normally tell just with feeling them. Has she lost some hair on the side? And have you noticed her getting more moody? If so then the chances are it is an OC.
So this is what I think if it is an ovarian cyst:
Personally although she is young and could be spayed (which would get rid of the cysts for good) I would be reluctant to put any sow through this operation. it is more complicated than neutering a boar and is quite a risky op.
Ovaryan cysts are not life threatening to piggies, my Fluffy is 5 and has had them most of her life. They can be treated with hormones and this normally does the trick, although there is always a risk of them coming back but then again hormones can be given if this happens. It involves a weekly injection for 2-3 weeks. To the best of my knowledge not many vet know about this treatment as the drug is not licenced for guinea pigs (it is originally for cows!). If the verdict comes back as ovarian cysts please get in touch with me as I have a letter from Jenny (my vet and also Chrissie's from GG) which explains how do do this treatment so I can help you speak to your vet about it.
If it comes back with Ovarian Cysts please do not worry this is perfectly treatable.

Let us know what the vet says.

Laure

Thank you so much thats really put my mind at ease.

She doesn't have any symptoms at the moment, all I've noticed is that she has a really big rear end. The vet I spoke to on Monday when I took them for a checkup meantioned the hormone treatment and said to be sure what it was they would have to scan her.

But the nurse when I dropped her off this morning said she'd have to be spayed...which I really don't want to do.

I will definately let you know the verdict, and will really appreciate any help you can give me and my vet. Thank you!!!

Cozmo
-x-

If she were mine I would not have her spayed (whatever age) I've lost two pigs to spaying though...

Mine are treated with HCG injections. I had one sow that had cysts so big she needed them drained too and 2 courses of the HCG injections, they didn't come back and when I phoned Vedra about draining she had not had cases where they come back- though she is relying on people feeding back to her- which I pointed out but they generally do :)

Yes I agree with Karen. I wouldn't have her spayed. I use the same vet as Karen and she is always happy to tell other vets about the HCG (hormone) treatment. Let us know what your vet says and we can take it from there.

L

my 3 year old piggie has them my vet said unless she loses a lot of weight or goes off food or becomes unwell to leave her be, if she does become unwell his verdict is to spay her which I'm not keen on.

he never mentioned hormone treatment i wonder why?

Ok she's home now and had her scan. I'm soo soo happy to report she doesn't have any form of cyst.

The vet I spoke to when I picked her up was different to the one I saw on Monday that said she may have them. The vet I saw today was apologetic as it was basically a waste of money. However at least I know there is nothing nasty sitting inside her.

I feel so relieved, and I'm sorry to have caused a fuss for nothing :embarassed:

Neither did ours, I mentioned it to them :)
Good news Cozmo, did they say if it was kidneys?

Nope they said she was clear...the vet who did the scan (who I saw months ago about another issue, and think has a good knowledge of Guineas), said she was perfect but seemed a little subdued so to keep an eye on her, and if I'm worried to go back.

That's great O0

I wouldn't choose to spay a female guinea.

On the subject of anaesthesia all I can say is that I have never lost a pig through anaes. Just always ask for Isoflurane, and should the pig have difficulty waking up try to get the blink reflex working - gently.

This is good news love, and btw you haven't caused a fuss for nothing.... always better to ask questions :) :)
Good luck with Guinea :smitten: :smitten:

Thats very true...and at least I have some info that might come in handy in the future, if need be.

Anyways she's fine...I think a little traumatised...lol...but fine. Don't think she's too happy about the two little shaved areas on her side...but I keep telling her they'll grow back in no time.

Thanks again guys!
(and thanks from her)
DSC01877.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back