• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

ovarian cysts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I think Tiny may have one/some? Hopefully going in to see Paula tomorrow.

She made some noises while having a pee - which often means cystitis - but I know it comes with a smelly discharge, some colour change and a change in the residue - from my experience anyway.

I lifted her up and gently touched her - but she will not let you (she bites and squeals) and I'm sure that I could make out a ball shape. I tried again (through her biting me!) and could definitely see 'something'

So.. if it happens to be an ovarian cyst - the likelihood being that they take it out. But at what rate does it grow? I mean, everyone has a general check over by me weekly, and haven't noticed any changes/signs until now.

xxxxxxxx

oh no, poor Tiny. And how worrying for Uncle Tonic and Icey.

I do hope you're wrong.

Love to Tiny xx

Some ovarian cysts can grow very rapidly. I adopted an aged sow from the SSPCA and she developed symptoms after a year with me. An x-ray showed obvious cysts (ovaries are usually polycystic rather than just one cyst) so we opted for a spay. Sadly she also had a large tumour in her uterus and died several days after surgery because of related complications.

The main symptoms of ovarian cysts are not usually visible lumps. The characteristic ones are enlarged, crusty nipples, weight redistribution so that the piggy seems distinctly pear-shaped, bilateral hairloss (usually on the sides) and general hormonal behaviour like mounting and rumbling. Hormone injections are an option (they only shrink them not cure them) but for properly diagnosed cysts a spay and hence complete removal is the only "cure".

Thanx, she could well be like me then (I have polycystic ovaries) ;)

She doesn't have any of the signs/symptoms that you mention and there is no other change in her.. I'll see what the vet says. :)

Thank you :)

My clover had these too! One was already pretty big, so we got her spayed and she was fine. The only symptom she had, was going very pear shaped!

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back