Outside houses

The Law Pigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this. So obviously in the warmer weather we’ll put our guinea pigs in a enclosure outside. I was just questioning when you all think the right time to move them outside would be.

It is colder outside in the uk in the summer time so our guinea pigs get heat pads regularly and hay top ups during the day.
Thanks any advice is appreciated

They can go out when night times are warmer and when frosts have stopped. Usually around April/May but it obviously depends on location and the actual weather given it is changeable!

I realised I’ve asked this question before just curious and don’t want anything happening if I’ve put them outside and it’s too warm or it’s too cold but thank you!

I realised I’ve asked this question before just curious and don’t want anything happening if I’ve put them outside and it’s too warm or it’s too cold but thank you!

My boys live in my shed (they have a hutch in there as well). They live out year round but I actually find it considerably harder in summer to keep them cool, then I do keeping them warm in winter.

In summer time (now bearing in mind my location), my piggies actually move in the house due to the heat. Sheds and hutches can become incredibly hot, and much hotter than the air temperature suggests, very quickly and therefore become dangerous. A thermometer in an outside hutch or run is important so you can monitor what they are actually being exposed to. Its been just 9-10 degrees here today but it’s been sunny and it has caused my shed to hit 21 degrees, so it just shows you always need to be aware with outdoor animals.

So, you have to go by how things are for your location and the temperatures/amount of sun etc you experience as to whether it’s safe for them to be out. Piggies are most comfortable between 18 and 22 degrees but anything over 25 risks heat stroke (Anything below 15 too chilly).

if its warm enough for you to stand outside without a coat,should be okay for piggies.the aim is to wait until outside temps are 15 degrees celcius.i agree with the above poster april may time.thats when i will be putting my guinea pigs back outside.

I’ve just put my piggies outside for the first time today (since we put them in the summer house last October) As the summer house was reaching crazy temperatures. I’ve put extra hay in, blankets over and will put the head pads in too. The temperature is saying 11 over night yet 26 during the day. Any advice is great

What was the temperature like inside? The important temperature is the one inside the hutch/summer house. Do you have a thermometer inside either of them? If it gets too hot you will have to move them inside.

I’ll tag @Piggies&buns her piggies live in a shed and she has to move them indoors sometimes as it gets too hot inside the shed.

I’ve got a thermometer. At the moment in there it is 19.5 and that’s without the head pads. Will monitor it overnight tonight and see how it goes. It’s going to get really hot over the week - up to 30 by the end of the week so the summer house will be much higher so definitely can’t leave them in there. Worst case I will need to layer them up with blankets over their hutch for a few nights to acclimatise

I’ve got a thermometer. At the moment in there it is 19.5 and that’s without the head pads. Will monitor it overnight tonight and see how it goes. It’s going to get really hot over the week - up to 30 by the end of the week so the summer house will be much higher so definitely can’t leave them in there. Worst case I will need to layer them up with blankets over their hutch for a few nights to acclimatise

If you know what temperature in the summer house was overnight, you may find the temperature actually outside may not be much different. If you mean it’s 19.5 in the hutch, then that is fine.

Yes some hot weather particularly at the end of the week is expected. I’ll be getting preparations made this week for my shed dwelling piggies!

@piggiesandbuns if you don’t mind me asking, when you move your pigs inside when it is too hot in the shed, what do you keep them in? My piggies are outside guineas but their hutch is too big to take to my friends who is having them when we are on holiday. She lives in a flat so for the week they are with her they will be inside so want a temporary indoor holiday home for them. Last summer when it got really hot, we brought their run inside and they lived in that for a few days but her flat won’t be big enough. Toying with getting a c and c cage for them

@piggiesandbuns if you don’t mind me asking, when you move your pigs inside when it is too hot in the shed, what do you keep them in? My piggies are outside guineas but their hutch is too big to take to my friends who is having them when we are on holiday. She lives in a flat so for the week they are with her they will be inside so want a temporary indoor holiday home for them. Last summer when it got really hot, we brought their run inside and they lived in that for a few days but her flat won’t be big enough. Toying with getting a c and c cage for them

I use c&c grids. They are cable tied together (all except the end two grids) so concertina up for easy storage. When I need the cage, I put a plastic sheet (was just a cheap roll from a garden centre) (rather than correx as a plastic sheet just folds up for easy storage) down on the carpet, unfold the grids, pop connectors on the end two to join them up, add bedding and accessories and job done! Having them cable tied means I don’t need to put connectors on every single grids to make the cage so it is very quick to build it up

Back