Outdoor run recomendations

Ninarodders

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can anyone please recommend any good outdoor runs please. Ideally I dont want wooden. I have had wooden before and they soon become rotten (even when I painted one). I have metal ones now that i use for my tortoise but you guys on here said the gaps aren't safe. So need a new one. Thanks in advance

I honestly think the wooden frame ones are the best sort for outside as they are far more sturdy (predator proof) than anything else I’ve seen and I’ve spent quite a lot of time looking online for run options too, but haven’t found anything that’d be a good option, that isn’t wood! Perhaps you could ask people for recommendations on where they get theirs from, as they can vary a lot in quality.

I agree that wooden and small holed mesh runs are better - more secure and sturdy.
I have four runs at present - two were bought, and two were built by us.

The two that were bought - one was just from a local pet shop (I’ve had it for three years) and the other from Home and Roost (bought at the beginning of this summer)
All four runs are painted annually and are outside year round (although the Home and Roost is a folding run so could be stored but it’s used as additional lawn space for my rabbits and they are given lawn time in winter also).
Even the one I’ve had for three years is still absolutely fine - painting and checking screws are still tight but there are no issues with it.

The ones weve built are made of chunkier wood and are better quality than the purchased ones. One of them has been outside for 8 and a half years and showing no signs of wear and tear. (they are rabbit enclosures so were purpose built due to the fact they need to be considerably larger than anything you can buy and one is walk in).

Hello. I got a folding wooden one made by a local handyman. It’s great as I wanted to be able to pack it away every evening. It’s made of treated wood so should last a long time and I got the size I wanted.

I would also say wood with proper welded wire is the safest option. I have a foldable one from rabbit-hutches.co.uk and it lives in the shed when not being used. It’s 6 years old now and apart from some cobwebs, it looks brand new. I would really recommend it, it’s very sturdy and the wire is well secured.

I've had a look around and if going wooden i like the idea of foldable. Thanks for the suggestions. I like the rabbit hutch .co.uk one but is out of stock. I think the weather has turned now anyway so will keep an eye out for next summer!

Back