Outdoor piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazzy11

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Those of you with outdoor piggies that bring them in for winter when will you be putting them back outside

yep mine are all crammed in my shed at the moment ::) with heating so i will have to gradually turn off the heating then gradually leave the door open slightly just to get the outdoor piggies used to the cold again :)

I am thinking of letting mine go back outside end of feb i think but ill just see how the weather is before i do ;)

I think its more the damp that they are prone to than cold. As ILA says it really depends on the weather :)

lindsay7 said:
I'm sure i read somewhere that it should not be any lower than 11 degrees at night for them to be out.

i was always advised to wait until it's 15 degrees at night, turned out to be the end of May for that night temperature last year. I remember watching the forecast very closely, definatly wouldn't do it before April, we could still get snow.

Mine have always lived in a garage or shed and have always done extremely well, i have never had a guinea die of cold they have always gone with old age,(except for those guineas i lost due to that terrible illness)

but i do have 2 boars living indoors now Branstone because he is just 2 old now and Bertie as he is on his own and has no one to snuggle to, the girls herd has never gone below 9 guineas so they have always had loads of body heat to share around

Mine absolutely thrive inside, they love the human company.

Plus with 3 long hairs they cant afford t get damp/cold.

They will start going into the garden for a run on the green stuff around March though O0

lindsay7 said:
I'm sure i read somewhere that it should not be any lower than 11 degrees at night for them to be out.
My guinea pigs live in there hutch all year round i just put in pleanty of bedding and hay and clean water and lots of food also handel them everyday and they seem just fine to me.

We might be able to keep them in the garage forever now it depends wether my Dad gets another motorbike or not :D its much easier cleaning them out in garage because all the things are kept in there and I can watch them when theyre out in the run O0

I have not got mine yet, but my plan was to keep them out doors march to october (depending on temperature) and bring them in over winter. I am going to buy a heat pad for the hutch though to ensure a heat source over night.

Mine were out for a few months last year in their massive hutch which my dad built and they were fine..however, they're staying in this year. My parents don't know this yet but I doubt they'll complain :) I prefer to have them inside. Also, now that they're under my bed* they don't take up any room really so yup :P

* - my bed is a bunk bed without the bottom bed..I don't have piggies suffocating under my bed, don't worry. ;D

had images of secret piggies hiding under the bed! lol
i was hoping to put mine out this weekend! HAHAHAHA ::) ::) ::)
i'll wait for it to warm up and get the hutches ready and proably put out daytime in shed at night just to get them used to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back