Outdoor Info please!

• Thread starter Thread starter crus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crus

We got our piggies 3 weeks ago and bought an outdoor hutch with run. its still too cold at night for them to be outside so we currently have the hutch in our dining room (not ideal but its a great way to get them used to us) When they go outside, we were planning on putting the hutch on our decking. It will face the sun but we will turn it around when it gets hotter so they will be in shade but a few of my worries/questions are:

what should we use on the floor of the run? Not sure if the decking will be ok or if we should put mats down so it's easier to clean up mess etc?

We have a cover for the hutch but will it be too warm to use it, particularly when the sun is out?

We have chicken wire to put around the run cage to prevent cats etc sticking their claws through, is this enough?

Should they have access to the run at all times or only when we are there to supervise? They haven't as yet used the ramp as i don't think they have ever seen one before!

Here is a link to the hutch we have:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=250226128569&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

Any tips and ideas would be a big help as i don't want to upset our new girls!

Christine :-\

Lovely hutch =-). I used to have one like that. You can buy some cheap concrete slabs to put on the run part of the hutch, as this will keep their nails down and is easy to clean with a dustpan and brush. Chicken wire will be enough to prevent cats, but make sure the door locks are very secure becausefoxes can undo some. When the weather warms up a bit, put them in the hutch every now and then, increasing the time they go in gradually. Then they will be used to it by then. They will also be used to lots of attention and noise, so putting them on the patio was a good idea ;D. If you don't want to put concrete slabs down, you could buy coroplast (or correx as it is sometimes called) to put down for easy cleaning. I would recommend in summer time to get a unused litter tray or plant pot and grow some grass in it for them to eat - as they love grass. They can have acsess to the run atall times, although if you don't think the run is secure enough and nighttime you could put the run up. By having them in the hutch a few imes before actually "moving house" they will probably get used to the ramp, if not put some tasty snacks along it, they will probably not be able to resist and go up getting it. If you are worried about when it gets warm, put ice cubes in their water and/or get a small plastic container and fill it with water, freeze it, then put the lid on, it will keep cold for a while so will keep a bit of area around it nice and cool for them. Good luck and let us know how they get on when they move! :)

Thank you so much for that info, i never thought of slabs and it turns out i have some spare ones so that's a great help! :)
I've also been trying to find small locks for the hutch as the one thats on it can turn very easily (even though it is a lovely heart shape!)
I will go buy a litter tray and start growing my grass so it'll be nice and long for them by the time they go out. I can't wait now to decorate the hutch, i wish the weather would get warmer!

Thanks again, really appreciate it

Christine xx 8)

I am sure you know this but when painting your hutch MAKE sure it is safe for the piggies :) :) O0

P.S make sure you take some piccies of the new decorated hutch :smiley6600: ;)

Glad you found that useful =-). I grew some grass in a litter tray for my rabbits - which because of their size was gone in 2 seconds flat! When I try it with the pigs I hope it will last longer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back