Outdoor hutch recommendations

Leb66

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for recommendations for a good quality outdoor guinea pig Hutch. For 2 girls.
Preferably one that doesn’t break the bank, but willing to spend more if its a good quality on that doesnt fall apart in the rain.
The one I;ve been looking at is the 6ft chart well single from home&roost but it’s almost 200 pounds, just wondered if there were any equally as good quality but for less?

To be honest the 6ft Chartwell is the one most of us with outdoor piggies would recommend. They are good quality hutches.
There is not a whole lot of point in spending less as they tend to be made from cheaper materials and don’t last so you’ll end up buying twice.
Don’t forget you also need waterproof covers (and thermal if you intend on your piggies being outside year round).

I used to keep my piggy in a hutch. In the mornings, he used to chew the metal cage on the doors and once even broke a tooth doing it. If you are considering purchasing a hutch, I would recommend fixing some fine mesh on the inside of the doors to prevent them from damaging their teeth.

This "6ft Chartwell" seems to be a good hutch. Unlike many hutches on the market that are way too small, this one is an acceptable size. The fact that it is one level is a big plus as well. Piggys need a wide area to roam around and zoom. A lot of cages that are two level have the size they need, but split between the two levels. So whatever level they are on, they only have half the space they need. 🤷‍♀️

If you think that your guinea pigs may live until 7 years off age than the Chartwell is good value for money. You would probably need to buy at least two pets at home cages in that time space. Have you thought about housing them indoors? I know it’s not possible for everyone but that would be cheaper for you

If you think that your guinea pigs may live until 7 years off age than the Chartwell is good value for money. You would probably need to buy at least two pets at home cages in that time space. Have you thought about housing them indoors? I know it’s not possible for everyone but that would be cheaper for you
They are currently housed indoors but I rent. We are moving to a new property where the landlord has agreed to let me bring them but only to be kept in the garden. We are moving down south of England where the weather is generally better than here in Scotland so I’m hoping they will be ok. My plan is to board them locally from November to February, then keep them outdoors the rest of the year. The only way I can make it work unfortunately as I have been looking and looking for somewhere that would let me keep them indoors with no luck at all.

I used to keep my piggy in a hutch. In the mornings, he used to chew the metal cage on the doors and once even broke a tooth doing it. If you are considering purchasing a hutch, I would recommend fixing some fine mesh on the inside of the doors to prevent them from damaging their teeth.

This "6ft Chartwell" seems to be a good hutch. Unlike many hutches on the market that are way too small, this one is an acceptable size. The fact that it is one level is a big plus as well. Piggys need a wide area to roam around and zoom. A lot of cages that are two level have the size they need, but split between the two levels. So whatever level they are on, they only have half the space they need. 🤷‍♀️
They are currently kept in the Ferplast 160 and sometimes chew on those bars, is it the same material?

To be honest the 6ft Chartwell is the one most of us with outdoor piggies would recommend. They are good quality hutches.
There is not a whole lot of point in spending less as they tend to be made from cheaper materials and don’t last so you’ll end up buying twice.
Don’t forget you also need waterproof covers (and thermal if you intend on your piggies being outside year round).
What are the thermals you recommend? I was planning on getting the hutch cover from the website but cant see any thermals?

What are the thermals you recommend? I was planning on getting the hutch cover from the website but cant see any thermals?

The cover on the website is purely waterproof with no insulating qualities. You need to also insulate the hutch and you can do it with a proper thermal cover - try the scratch and newton website as they do both waterproof (called hutch hugger in their website) and thermal cover (called hutch snuggle). You need both - thermal on first and then water proof on top. Scratch and newton stock covers to fit Chartwell hutches.
Or you can make your own by using silver foil insulation (looks like bubble wrap but is silver) and taping it together to cover the hutch and then putting the hutch hugger/waterproof cover over the top.
I have done both - both making one with silver foil and buying a proper thermal cover (in my case it was a custom size as none of them fit my rather large rabbit hutch). Both work perfectly

You will also need snugglesafe heatpads for outdoor piggies. They are essential and provide a warm spot for piggies to sit. Heat them up in the microwave. They say 10 hours of warmth but I find they last about 6-8 in mid winter so you need to heat them up a few times a day.

In terms of your plan to board them - it’s a good idea but it is important you note that indoor piggies shouldnt be put outside for the first time
until the risk of frost has gone and night time temperatures are above 10 degrees (15 degrees ideally). The most common way to do it is to have them out during the day and indoors at night so they acclimate slowly, moving them out from
around April. Once they’ve had a summer outside then they will be fine but it is just that first one.
Of course that isn’t going to be possible given you can’t have them inside so you are going to really need to make sure the hutch is warm enough and well insulated if you plan on putting them back out in February.

It is entirely possible to keep them outside year round, it just takes some work and planning both in winter and in summer.
Mine live in my shed so although they are out of wind and rain, I still need to keep them warm enough.
My biggest issue with outdoor animals has always been summer and managing the heat. Hutches can become dangerous so planning positioning the hutch is very important along with other heat management factors.

They are currently kept in the Ferplast 160 and sometimes chew on those bars, is it the same material?

They are much less likely to be able to effectively chew the mesh on a hutch vs a commercial cage. The bars on a commercial cage are usually coated and wide so they can get their teeth into them.
the mesh on the hutches are wire and are small (to keep rats out) while they may attempt it it’s not always easy for them to get their teeth. I’ve never had one chew the mesh, they do chew the wood though and I have one who is a terror for doing it!

Back