Outdoor hutch recommendations

Jemima

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello. I'm moving my boars outside when it is warm enough. I want a double storey hutch so I can maximise space, and they have this in their C&C currently.

I've seen the pets at home Bluebell one for sale second hand - is it a really rubbish hutch or have others found it to be big enough and good enough quality for two male GP's?

I know the charter well ones are superior but I don't know whether to invest that much as they are super expensive new with all the accessories and I can't find any second hand at present!

You don’t need a two story hutch so by getting a single you can lower costs. Upper levels don’t count to the cage size.
Don’t forget for two boars you need a 6 foot hutch

I had a bluebell hutch outside as a shelter for my rainbow bridge rabbit. It does not stand up to outdoor conditions at all well. Within 18 months it was worse for wear. You are better off to spend a good amount of money and get a decent hutch. As the saying goes - buy cheap, buy twice.
Personally I’d go for the chartwell.

When you say with all the accessories for a Chartwell, what accessories do you mean? Raincover I’m assuming, but were you thinking of anything else? Just thinking out loud (well typing!), if you are onoy going to use it for summer, technically you don’t need a rain over - a clear tarpaulin works just as well at a fraction of the cost

You don’t need a two story hutch so by getting a single you can lower costs. Upper levels don’t count to the cage size.
Don’t forget for two boars you need a 6 foot hutch

I had a bluebell hutch outside as a shelter for my rainbow bridge rabbit. It does not stand up to outdoor conditions at all well. Within 18 months it was worse for wear. You are better off to spend a good amount of money and get a decent hutch. As the saying goes - buy cheap, buy twice.
Personally I’d go for the chartwell.
Good point re cost and single storey. The 6ft single is affordable. It's just not as big as the C&C, but it does look sturdy. I'll have to get the thermal cover etc, too. My only other concern with the single is that my boars like to be at opposite ends of the hutch to each other, and this one only has one snuggle compartment, but perhaps their relationship will evolve!

When you say with all the accessories for a Chartwell, what accessories do you mean? Raincover I’m assuming, but were you thinking of anything else? Just thinking out loud (well typing!), if you are onoy going to use it for summer, technically you don’t need a rain over - a clear tarpaulin works just as well at a fraction of the cost
I meant the thermal cover and rain cover, yes.

Good point re cost and single storey. The 6ft single is affordable. It's just not as big as the C&C, but it does look sturdy. I'll have to get the thermal cover etc, too. My only other concern with the single is that my boars like to be at opposite ends of the hutch to each other, and this one only has one snuggle compartment, but perhaps their relationship will evolve!
I meant the thermal cover and rain cover, yes.

No hutches are as big as a c&c unless you have a hutch custom made to 70+ cm wide.
Technically even a two storey is not as big as a c&c, given it’s only the bottom level which counts. Nothing wrong with a double storey though, it does give them somewhere else to go.

I actually remove the wall of the sleeping compartment in my boar hutches to prevent there being any bickering and to remove any single entrances (where the dividing wall is effectively makes a single entrance hide). l put hides at both ends and hay at both ends so basically each end is their own space if they want to get away from each other. (My hutches are double storey but the ramp is removed and the hole boarded up) so are split Into two separate hutches)

If it’s for summer use only I would not bother with a thermal cover. Indoor piggies can’t go out until night times ware warm enough and by that point a thermal cover isn’t needed anyway. I have thermal covers but mine are out (shed) year round.

No hutches are as big as a c&c unless you have a hutch custom made to 70+ cm wide.
Technically even a two storey is not as big as a c&c, given it’s only the bottom level which counts. Nothing wrong with a double storey though, it does give them somewhere else to go.

I actually remove the wall of the sleeping compartment in my boar hutches to prevent there being any bickering and to remove any single entrances (where the dividing wall is effectively makes a single entrance hide). l put hides at both ends and hay at both ends so basically each end is their own space if they want to get away from each other. (My hutches are double storey but the ramp is removed and the hole boarded up) so are split Into two separate hutches)

If it’s for summer use only I would not bother with a thermal cover. Indoor piggies can’t go out until night times ware warm enough and by that point a thermal cover isn’t needed anyway. I have thermal covers but mine are out (shed) year round.
Sadly it's a permanent move, through summer to winter. The hay is doing my husband's head in, as it spreads through the house 🤦🏻‍♀️ They are in my office up on a bench, so they are technically out of the way as they aren't taking up floor space, but we do need the extra room...
Yep, planning to move them out once it's warm enough in the night... I do hope they will adapt OK.

Sadly it's a permanent move, through summer to winter. The hay is doing my husband's head in, as it spreads through the house 🤦🏻‍♀️ They are in my office up on a bench, so they are technically out of the way as they aren't taking up floor space, but we do need the extra room...
Yep, planning to move them out once it's warm enough in the night... I do hope they will adapt OK.
Right, in that case, I would definitely go for as good a quality hutch as you can afford (including good quality covers). If the difference in cost between a cheaper double and a good quality single hutch, then I would personally go for the good quality single but as you’ve said it does come down to how much your boys are going to appreciate a bit of separation and ‘me time’!

Once you’ve got the hutch, you should start to put them out there during the day time when it is warm, but still bring them in at night until frosts stop. Once night is over 15 degrees, then they can stay out permanently. This gets them used to outside conditions much more gradually than just waiting until night it warm and then moving them out all in one fell swoop.

Right, in that case, I would definitely go for as good a quality hutch as you can afford (including good quality covers). If the difference in cost between a cheaper double and a good quality single hutch, then I would personally go for the good quality single but as you’ve said it does come down to how much your boys are going to appreciate a bit of separation and ‘me time’!

Once you’ve got the hutch, you should start to put them out there during the day time when it is warm, but still bring them in at night until frosts stop. Once night is over 15 degrees, then they can stay out permanently. This gets them used to outside conditions much more gradually than just waiting until night it warm and then moving them out all in one fell swoop.
Fab - thank you for the tip. :-) I will do that. I'll see how much it adds up to with a double storey and accessories. I'd rather know they are happy with space, but if needs be, the single would suffice.

Just a thought around the hay - they're pricey to buy individually but I bought our C&C through Kavee because I wanted the clear panels for the front, and they really do help keep the hay in. I think I create more hay mess than the pigs now! I have bits of cardboard along the correx on the other sides as well and that's also seemed to help.

I would be very careful about any second hand hutch. We had a horrible experience when we were given a redundant double 6 ft hutch by our daughter. It was a beautiful hutch and we thought Bill and Ted would absolutely love it. Unfortunately the smell of the previous owners (two rabbits) drove them to an instant fallout. Within 15 minutes of putting them in despite a full and thorough hutch clean they fought, something they had never ever done before. Of course we removed them straight away and after a brief separation they were fine again, and never had any more problems, but the scent of the rabbits was obviously just too much for them and they must have thought they were female guinea pigs

The thermal cover also helps to keep the temperature down in the summer.though you cannot rely on it to keep it cool in very hot temps 80 degrees plus.you need an outdoor thermometer.good luck.

Just a thought around the hay - they're pricey to buy individually but I bought our C&C through Kavee because I wanted the clear panels for the front, and they really do help keep the hay in. I think I create more hay mess than the pigs now! I have bits of cardboard along the correx on the other sides as well and that's also seemed to help.
Looks like this might be happening now, as my husband is not accommodating any space outside for them! He doesn't want them inside either. but looks like this is our only option at the moment. Could you attach a pic of your C&C with the clear panels? Then I can look into getting them individually. :-)

No problem, I've attached a couple of photos - sorry I couldn't get a very good angle!

I'm slowing extending the cardboard round the sides as well, not as effective (or pretty) but very budget friendly and we find it does make a difference 😊

These were taken just after I cleaned them this evening, it doesn't normally look this neat! :))

Attachments

• 20230501_195100.webp
    20230501_195100.webp
    73.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230501_195031.webp
    20230501_195031.webp
    53.2 KB · Views: 16
No problem, I've attached a couple of photos - sorry I couldn't get a very good angle!

I'm slowing extending the cardboard round the sides as well, not as effective (or pretty) but very budget friendly and we find it does make a difference 😊

These were taken just after I cleaned them this evening, it doesn't normally look this neat! :))
Oh what cuties!

Back