Outdoor hutch recommendations?

machuandpicchumummy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone! We're getting our pigs a new hutch (we hate the hutch/run combo we have now as it's so difficult to clean and just a general nuisance plus the pigs won't use the ramp so we use a separate run anyway as the opening on the run is tiny so impossible to catch them). Any recommendations for 5-6ft wooden hutches that are suitable for 2 teen boars and will last a long time and predator proof (we do have a walk in run over the top of the hutch so won't be exposed to the elements)? Any good companies/makes etc?

Chartwell hutches are well recommended.
As teen boars a 6ft is best

If you have the pet shop, Pets Corner, near you then their hutches are usually good. Ive had one of theirs and it is still going strong now, nearly 9 years later, it’s made from decent wood, not ply. I have a bluebell hutch from pets at home as well but it’s not fairing well outside (even though it has a hutch cover). (I have outdoor rabbits as well as shed dwelling piggies)
I also have a hutch from The Rabbit Hutch Company which is nice but it is in my shed for the piggies so I can’t comment on how it would do outside.
Don’t forget to get a thermal and waterproof cover for it as well. They are essential if they are to stay outside year round

Last edited:
Chartwell hutches are well recommended.
As teen boars a 6ft is best

If you have the pet shop, Pets Corner, near you then their hutches are usually good. Ive had one of theirs and it is still going strong now, nearly 9 years later, it’s made from decent wood, not ply. I have a bluebell hutch from pets at home as well but it’s not fairing well outside (even though it has a hutch cover). (I have outdoor rabbits as well as shed dwelling piggies)
I also have a hutch from The Rabbit Hutch Company which is nice but it is in my shed for the piggies so I can’t comment on how it would do outside.
Don’t forget to get a thermal and waterproof cover for it as well. They are essential if they are to stay outside year round
Thank you for the advice! We had looked at the bluebell one from Pets at home too and was considering that. I think pets corner may be in the same retail park so we'll have a look there too! Do the pets corner ones have a cover that fits them exactly for each model? As I say their walk in chicken run has a roof so it won't ever be rained on so should last well

Well, my pets corner hutch did originally have a specific cover but as I’ve had it for almost 9 years, I'm not sure about now. The rabbits chewed through the original cover so I had to replace it but they didn’t have a cover at the time. Whether it was a stock issue or that they just don’t do them now, I dont know. I ended up having Scratch & Newton custom make a thermal and waterproof cover for it as S&N standard didn’t fit the hutch.

it’s good it’s got a roof, but ensuring you’ve got enough layers to insulate the hutch with, the better. Mine are in a shed but the hutch still has a thermal cover, two blankets, a normal hutch cover and then a duvet thrown over all of it. The shed itself stays a good 5-10 degrees warmer than outside in winter and the measures (including lots of hay and four snugglesafes) keep them plenty warm enough

I really like my blubell but it is only plywood. Ifs just used as a run shelter for one of rabbits now.
If you are going to get one, then definitely paint it and ensure it is well covered. . It’s been outside for a year now (was originally in the shed

Back