Outdoor Hutch recommendation

Hummingbird

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am looking for a 6' hutch replacement . We have the H & R Chartwell for 3 years now but it is on its last legs (roof leaks and other problems). I was ordering a new Chartwell but then the delivery was going to be over £20 to our area. So, even with a 5% discount on the order it was going to cost over £200. I was then looking at single 6' from a company called Orpington. The reviews seem to indicate that the roof is quite flimsy. I have always found members very helpfukl with previous queries and just wondered if any of you guys have this 6' hutch and what you think. There is a big difference in price between the two companies

Have you looked at Home to Roost? they used to sell hutches

I see you have a home and roost chartwell hutch and that is the one you are looking to replace. Funnily enough. they would be the ones lost often recommended.

I had a brief look online but I can’t see a company called Orpington.
I can see an Orpington hutch on home and roost website but it is a tiny 3 or 4 foot hutch

Hello, Bill & Ted - yes have purchased 2 hutches from Home & Roost. Now, this is the third Chartwell I am speaking about that is needing a replacement. However, the company emailed a short time ago saying if I pay delivery charge, they will send me a replacement Chartwell hutch roof! This is wonderful customer service. I think if I buy some wood for the back, and screw it in along with the new roof it will be fine.
Going back to the hutch I was asking members about ( thanks for reply Piggies&buns) here it is... still would like to know if it any good. I see now it is from the Hutch Company not 'Orpington'
[HEADING=2]Orpington Rabbit Hutches (6ft Flat Pack)[/HEADING]
Brand: The Hutch Company

Hello, Bill & Ted - yes have purchased 2 hutches from Home & Roost. Now, this is the third Chartwell I am speaking about that is needing a replacement. However, the company emailed a short time ago saying if I pay delivery charge, they will send me a replacement Chartwell hutch roof! This is wonderful customer service. I think if I buy some wood for the back, and screw it in along with the new roof it will be fine.
Going back to the hutch I was asking members about ( thanks for reply Piggies&buns) here it is... still would like to know if it any good. I see now it is from the Hutch Company not 'Orpington'
[HEADING=2]Orpington Rabbit Hutches (6ft Flat Pack)[/HEADING]
Brand: The Hutch Company

The Hutch company and home and roost seem to have the same address so I’m wondering if they are somehow related.
Anyway The Orpington hutches on Amazon are dispatched by home and roost. You can find them on the Home & Roost website (although the H&R website doesn’t have the 6 foot version, only the 3 and 4 foot versions) where there is a bit more information about them.

While i don’t have personal experience, the information on them seems like they are not meant to be used outside but more as a bedroom area within a larger enclosure indoors (ie leave the hutch door open permanently and allow free roam).

The roof looks to be made from correx! That wont be secure, watertight or warm.
The hutch looks to be made fully from plywood so not really able to stand up to much outside. I would think it would rot out quite quickly and wouldn’t be warm or secure.

My other concern is that the 3 and 4 foot versions are only 40cm wide. While I cannot see measurements on Amazon for the 6ft version, I can only assume it is the same in width. Therefore wouldn’t be considered appropriate.

That sounds like a great solution if they’ll send you a replacement roof 😊

Thank you for the research. Well done for noticing that the address is the same. Sounds as though it wouldn't last even though the price is reasonable. My girls come inside late Autumn to a different set up so but an outside home is required for the better weather. I 've discounted Pets at Home as their efforts don't seem to stand up to outside weather conditions for very long judging by the comments. Home & Roost appears to have the monopoly on decent wooden hutches unless you can make your own. Thanks guys.

The other one is Ryedale hutches. They are very expensive but from reviews one of the most robust ones you can buy

Back