Outdoor Home Flooring Type

Parker77

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I am going to move my boys outside to a glorious home, once the weather settles they'll have outdoor access until then they'll be inside a summer playhouse, I'm checking temp and ventilation to ensure temp is good.

My question is flooring, would vinyl be good or stone? Should I give them a couple of paving slabs to run around on? I was going to create little corners of different textures/ environment for exploring for them. Obvs no sand or dusty things but logs and stones to hide and climb around?
Any inspiration would be much appreciated

Welcome to the forum

Some kind of waterproof and wipe clean flooring for a shed such as vinyl is best. However, it will need to be covered with something absorbent - shavings/aubiose/megazorb and then some piles of hay. They don’t need paving slabs or different textures.
They will also need their hides - wooden is best for outdoors. Plastic gets too hot and fleece can be problematic outside if there is any moisture/rain/humidity (it doesn’t always dry properly and can wick moisture from the air).

Please keep a very close eye on the temperature in the shed.
I have four boys who live in hutches in my shed (with access to playtime on the shed floor). Summer is an utter nightmare as the shed gets dangerously hot very quickly with even a little sun. Come mid summer it can easily hit 30+ degrees in the shed even if it is nowhere near that outside so the piggies have to move into the house for several weeks in the summer.

The guides below will also help you

Member Gallery: Sheds
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Back