Outdoor help

Ninarodders

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I put my boys out when its nice but only when I'm home. I have a couple of questions. Can it be too hot for them? Or with shade is it the same as being indoors? I use frozen packs with towel or fleece for them inside when its hot. I shade half of the pen every time they are out whatever the temp anyway.

2nd question I get lot of kites where I live. (I seen 4 flying above the house together in go). They obs make the noise they do. Will the noise scare the piggies? Part of the reason I cover half of the pen is to try and avoid attracting them and to help the piggies feel safe.

Yes it can be too hot. 25 or more is too hot and they should not be put outside once it reaches that temperature.
Even shaded, a run during summer can be too hot - it’s definitely not the same as being indoors. A hot breeze in a run even in the shade can raise the air temperature surrounding the piggies and cause heat stroke. Sadly we do see some heat related deaths so you need to do everything you can to stop them from getting too warm - between 18 and 22 degrees is their most comfortable temperature. During mid summer, only have them outside during the early morning and late evening and then keep them indoors during the rest of the time.

Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Regarding the kites, or any bird of prey, ensuring your piggies are safe is the priority. Ensure you supervise at all times. The noise is not likely to scare them - they usually get used to outdoor noises in any event

Anything above 25-30 degrees is too hot for them and you should make sure they have plenty of shade. I always cover half my run with a sheet so they have the option to be out in the sunshine or in the shade :) But as mentioned, you shouldn't put them out when it's too hot

Back