Out of Hay

CavyL0ver

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My hay order is delayed and my Guinea pigs are out of hay, they only have a little left in their cage. The order is expected to arrive tomorrow. I am unsure if the grass outside our house is sprayed with pesticides. What should I do?

Is there somewhere else you can get hay from to tide you over (I know it’s not always that easy)? They really can’t be without hay as it’s their main food.

You need to be sure grass is safe before you give it to them but also if they aren’t used to eating fresh grass then you can’t suddenly give them a lot of it, and you certainly could not replace their entire days hay intake with fresh grass, as it would risk upsetting their stomachs

There is no way I can get hay here other than online. I also found out that the grass in our backyard is not sprayed, but they are not introduced to it yet.

Yes, I did think that is what you would say about hay.

If they haven’t been used to grass, then you can only give them one small handful today.
As long as the hay does come tomorrow, then all you can do today is give them their normal veg and nuggets.
Make sure you give them a lot of hay as soon as it arrives tomorrow

The hay got delayed again because of the typhoon here in the Philippines. It is going to arrive tommorow. We have checked the stores here, no hay. Will they be ok?

You’re in a difficult situation - they need to eat something so all you can do is give them veg, some grass and nuggets until the hay arrives. You’ll just have to watch that too much fresh food and lack of fibre doesn’t upset their digestion too much
Hay is 80% of what they need to eat in a day so without it their food intake will be down.

Once this hay arrives, i would straight away order some more so you are always a few bags ahead and have plenty in storage in case future deliveries are delayed

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong but mine chew at cardboard - like brown cardboard boxes - and they do eat it. Things like carrot cottage (in pic) is just a cardboard box with food stuck on the outside that they rip up and eat. As long as the box has no sprays on - not a lot of ink - remove any tape or staples etc. It must just go straight through them but it's something to keep the gut moving in the short term? Hope your hay arrives soon x
hay box heart.jpg stripping the roof.jpg

Back