Our newborn (3 days old) is rumblestrutting

Cavysaurus

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

One of our two female guinea pigs gave birth to a single giant baby (120g) three days ago. It's 166g now. We don't know if it is male or female yet. We had to separate the other guinea pig because the adults were getting into fights (mostly teeth chattering and lunging).

My question is, the newborn started rumblestrutting quite frequently. There is no line of sight to the other female, but it can still smell and hear her. The baby rumblestruts when it's close to its mother. We don't know what it means; we just know ginnehs do it when they're showing dominance or are maybe in heat, but the baby is 3 days old 😅

Hi everyone,

One of our two female guinea pigs gave birth to a single giant baby (120g) three days ago. It's 166g now. We don't know if it is male or female yet. We had to separate the other guinea pig because the adults were getting into fights (mostly teeth chattering and lunging).

My question is, the newborn started rumblestrutting quite frequently. There is no line of sight to the other female, but it can still smell and hear her. The baby rumblestruts when it's close to its mother. We don't know what it means; we just know ginnehs do it when they're showing dominance or are maybe in heat, but the baby is 3 days old 😅

Hi and welcome
Rumble-strutting can be both a sign of dominance as well as a boar display towards sows. You have got a bit of an early starter but he is still far too young and small to get up to real mischief yet. Please keep an eye on the baby (I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be male) because they are the sole recipient of all the nutrition and will continue to grow rather fast.
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
Here is our sexing guide, which shows you exactly where to look and feel for the gender - the more gender divisive areas are less obvious. Have a look at and feel of the mother or the 'auntie' first so you know how a sow looks and feels and then at the baby. Check with our comparison pictures; we have included pictures of 2 day olds and two weeks old (including slit pictures). We are here for a second opinion but we'd rather you tried first. Learning how to sex guinea pig properly is not the worst life skill to acquire!
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Here is our New Owners helpful general information: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Last edited:
Hi Wiebke,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome ❤️ I've read the guides and um... inspected the baby (I have the scratches to prove it 😅). I think he is male. Here is a photo, but if it's unclear, I can take a better one in the morning.

I'm taking the baby to the vet in a couple of weeks regardless, because I'm very paranoid now. We're thrilled to have the new (surprise) baby but admittedly would have been out of sorts if we'd ended up with like 6 😅

Attachments

• 20220525_184907.webp
    20220525_184907.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 33
As mentioned, here's a pic by daylight! We'll be taking the baby to the vet next week, but I thought I'd ask the hivemind 😅

Attachments

• 20220526_165445.webp
    20220526_165445.webp
    59.1 KB · Views: 22
I'd say a little girl?
Please don’t guess at the sex. That way lies trouble 🥴

@Cavysaurus have you gently felt for a penis ridge and checked for the fleshy seal just inside the slit? You can compare to mum as well. There’s no harm in learning to sex them.

Take another clear picture of just inside the slit as well.

A picture with the slit opened will be needed - sows have a fleshy seal inside whereas boars go straight down

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'd say he's definitely a boy 😅

UPDATE: We got an appointment next week for early neutering.

Attachments

• 20220527_122308.webp
    20220527_122308.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 8
Back