OUCH

Kinzie12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
I got a New Guinea pig to bond with my current Guinea pig who lost her friend a few months ago. I have had the new piggie (NALA) for over a month. I was holding her, I made sure I was supporting her butt and that she felt secure. After a few seconds of holding her, she had bit me and drew blood. She has bit me a few times before ( a little too hard), but this was a whole new level. She is usually a sweet Guinea and is getting a long great with my other pig (poppy), they have tons of chew toys, 2 bowls, 2 bottles, and a ton of hiding places. I don’t know what to do, and now I am scared of even holding her. She tried biting me again in the same spot before I could put her down but luckily I got her down quickly. (I was sitting on the floor). She’s eating normal and is popcorning/running.
I attached a picture of nala and poppy. Nala is the solid colored one.

Any advice?

Attachments

• 41B03204-F939-461B-929C-1698D057BC16.webp
    41B03204-F939-461B-929C-1698D057BC16.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 8
Does the biting mostly occur while she is being held? It sounds to me like she may not like being picked up. I would recommend picking her up with a cuddle sack or transporter. They are both very safe alternatives and she won't be able to get to your hands. It's really great that you are practicing safe piggy handling, but it might just be her own fear/dislike of being held out in the open that is causing the biting. A month isn't a very long time to have had a piggy either, so she may even get better with the biting as she learns to trust you and feel safe in her environment. There is a really great guide on why piggies may bite here, I think you should give it a read.

" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

Your piggies are super cute by the way!

I agree, it may be she doesn’t want to be held. Or she’d prefer to have her friend nearby, while she’s out the cage.

Hello,
I got a New Guinea pig to bond with my current Guinea pig who lost her friend a few months ago. I have had the new piggie (NALA) for over a month. I was holding her, I made sure I was supporting her butt and that she felt secure. After a few seconds of holding her, she had bit me and drew blood. She has bit me a few times before ( a little too hard), but this was a whole new level. She is usually a sweet Guinea and is getting a long great with my other pig (poppy), they have tons of chew toys, 2 bowls, 2 bottles, and a ton of hiding places. I don’t know what to do, and now I am scared of even holding her. She tried biting me again in the same spot before I could put her down but luckily I got her down quickly. (I was sitting on the floor). She’s eating normal and is popcorning/running.
I attached a picture of nala and poppy. Nala is the solid colored one.

Any advice?

Hi

Please take the time to read the more detailed and practical guide links below. They help you understand where your piggy is coming from and how you can work on the issue by respecting that and within their own social language.

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

Back