Otis acting off

OtisandChip

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Otis, my piggy, is a very friendly guy and it is quite apparent that he trusts me a lot and enjoys cuddles from me. He is usually very active and never spends too much time in one area of his cage. The last 2 days he has been staying in the corner of his 2 by 4 cnc cage. He has rarely went in his hidey. Usually when I crinkle his food bag he comes out running, however, he hasn’t done so. He also popcorns and explores whenever I clean his cage and he did not do that today either. It’s as though he’s afraid to go to the other side of his cage. He very cautiously walks to his food bowl only to run back to the corner. He is eating and drinking, but only when I bring it to him from the other side. When he goes to eat hay he very cautiously walks out to it. He is letting me pet him and pick him up with no issue. I’m just not sure why he’s afraid of the other side of the cage all of a sudden. There has been no loud noises, no new people, and no changes. He is almost 5 years old. He’s just acting super super weary about the other half of his cage. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_4019.webp
    IMG_4019.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 2
Any change in behaviour then you should look to medical issues further. Please switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh him daily while you are concerned about him. This is the only way to monitor that he is eating enough hay (you can’t gauge hay intake by eye - they can appear to be eating some but actually aren’t eating enough), and if he is unwell in any way then hay intake often reduces and means you need to step in with syringe feeding.
Please do see a vet for any concerning change in behaviour.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

It may be that something has spooked him but best to rule out health issues first.
You can try covering the cage with a sheet to help him feel more secure.
Is his cagemate still wandering around the cage normally?

Any change in behaviour then you should look to medical issues further. Please switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh him daily while you are concerned about him. This is the only way to monitor that he is eating enough hay (you can’t gauge hay intake by eye - they can appear to be eating some but actually aren’t eating enough), and if he is unwell in any way then hay intake often reduces and means you need to step in with syringe feeding.
Please do see a vet for any concerning change in behaviour.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

It may be that something has spooked him but best to rule out health issues first.
You can try covering the cage with a sheet to help him feel more secure.
Is his cagemate still wandering around the cage normally?
Thank you so much! His cagemate passed about 3 months ago and (I’m sad to say lol) he has been much happier on his own. For some reason he isn’t too friendly when it comes to other piggies. I will definitely take your advice. Thank you again!

Back