Orchard hay recommendations

Piggies2023

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm looking for some orchard hay that is really soft please. I'm wondering if haybox is soft? I've tried Timothyhayco.uk so far and while the pigs like it it's too stemmy for burying in. I have some oxbow that's soft but it's far too expensive to use in large amounts. Thank you

I'm looking for some orchard hay that is really soft please. I'm wondering if haybox is soft? I've tried Timothyhayco.uk so far and while the pigs like it it's too stemmy for burying in. I have some oxbow that's soft but it's far too expensive to use in large amounts. Thank you
I used to buy either Oxbow Orchard Hay or the Hay Experts' "own brand" orchard Hay when available. They were usually quite leafy - though obviously it can vary and last year's crop was more dry and stemmy I think because of the extreme dry weather everywhere.

The hay box one is soft, softer than the Timothyhay.co.uk one… mine brought some bugs with it though 😬

The hay box one is soft, softer than the Timothyhay.co.uk one… mine brought some bugs with it though 😬
Ahh. Not sure I'm keen on bugs. What kind of bugs did you get & was it recent?

I used to buy either Oxbow Orchard Hay or the Hay Experts' "own brand" orchard Hay when available. They were usually quite leafy - though obviously it can vary and last year's crop was more dry and stemmy I think because of the extreme dry weather everywhere.
I find the oxbow is too expensive for burying unfortunately. I can't find the hay experts own brand maybe they've stopped

I buy orchard from Happy Hay Co. Really good quality and soft enough for bedding also
Ooh thank you. Pumpkin has managed to stab herself in the eye with soft Timothy hay that changed consistency mid box. I don't think was soft enough for burying. It's normally her sister that's the culprit!

Ahh. Not sure I'm keen on bugs. What kind of bugs did you get & was it recent?
It was mid September, they were biscuit beetles. Thankfully they are under control since we threw the hay away but we left some hay out and came back from holiday to find them!

Back