opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i have a 6 foot x 4 foot shed which houses my herd of piggies, with permanent access to an outside run with slabbed base (keeps their nails in tip top condition) which is 6.5 foot x 5 foot, so a total of around 55 square feet. they have a thick 4-6 inch layer of woodshavings on the shed floor, and hay aswell. do you think this is ok for a herd of 16 or should i make things larger?

i have no idea how to work out sizes for 16! but welcome to the forum :)

My head is cabbaged trying to work it out, :D I think it's fine for 13 or 14 at a push, perhaps make the run a little bigger if you can and I think that would be fine! :)

thanks for the welcome, ive been considering adding another floor to the shed, like halfway across, with a wire front to stop them falling off, and a ramp going up,so they have more inside room to relax in if its wet or cold outside. the run has lots of play things and tunnels etc in it to keep them busy,they are all very happy and they dont fight at all. i have 15 sows and 1 boar, aged between 3 weeks and 3 years,my boar is castrated before anyone asks ;) and they seem to get along so well,9 of the sows are rescues,and even though theyve had bad home and been given up they are so well behaved and friendly :) i love my piggies so much, but they are very noisey when they start to sing :smitten:

I think the upper level is an excellent idea and will give them that extra room! :) You'll have to post up piccies of your herd, we love seeing new pigs here! :D

The only thing I'd say is that although you have a total of 55 sq ft, it's probable that they will all want to use one area, like the shed if it's a bit cold. I'd say that was too many guineas for the shed size. I had free range guineas in a 6ft x 8ft shed - max 7 guineas but now I have 2 groups inside - 44 sq ft for 3 boys and 27 sq ft with 3 tier hutch for 4 girls. But I know I'm quite fussy about having a lot of space.

thanks for the opinions,i will be adding another floor in the next 2 weeks hopefully,but they all cuddle up together, its like a massive furry single blob of piggy 8) ive even watched them through the window before and they are like this even when I'm not around,at least with the 2nd floor they will have the opportunity to be apart from each other a little more. ive never known a more bonded group of piggys, when one gets taken out, for fuss/grooming, all the others run around squeeking until the missing piggy is back, its so sweet to see :smitten:

they were housed in a 7foot x 2 foot hutch with a run on it,so they do have more room than they had before,and all the rescues have come from tiny hutches or indoor cages,I'm not sure if that makes a difference but they seem to really appreciate the extra room they have, lots of popcorning piggys :D i love to just sit and watch them :smitten:

Aaah, sounds great. They're lovely to watch aren't they. Relaxing like watching tropical fish (but more interesting!).

you should take some pics of your piggies all snuggled up together...would be great to see

Welcome! :)
Not sure about sizes just wanted to say that is 1 lucky boy with all those ladies! ;D

;) yes Barney is one very happy boy! i have taken a few pictures, but none came out very well,so i will go out next time the weathers better and take my time taking some :)

i agree with the relaxing thing,i can spend hours just sitting in the shed with them,letting them run and jump on and off me,and watching them just get on with their daily fun, :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: its the best passtime ever! and the sound they all make when they get excited over their veggies etc, its so loud,its fantastic :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back