Opinions on Counting Loft Space

Featheryfriend

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi y'all. I know the general rule of thumb is that lofts space does not count towards minimum space requirements, but I wanted opinions on my particular setup.

I am about to recieve two very young baby guineas that will need to be in a babyproofed enclosure. The third floor of my guinea pig emporium is already babyproofed and contains 8 piggos. It is 9x2 grids with a 2x2 offset loft.

My other two levels (one 2x10, one 2x10 with a 1x2 loft) each contain only 6 pigs but would need to be babyproofed (I use cheap playpen grids) which would be a lot of work.

The third floor pigs are also the most chill. The bottom floor contains Sage (who kinda hates babies for some reason) and the middle floor contains Buttercup and Pistachio, who I have a feeling would be very domineering towards little pigs.

The piggos make extensive use of the 2x2 loft - they have all learned to use the double ramps and there is always a pig or two up there. Occasionally all of them are up there trying to get a better view of me preparing food!

I feel like the top floor herd and the already-babyproofed cage is the best choice all around, even if it is a bit of a squeeze according to a strict interpretation of cage size guidelines. Can I call it a functionally 2x11 grid cage and pop those babies in there, you think?

Upper levels dont count so it doesnt make your cage a 2x11. In fact the ramp also takes up floor space downstairs.
Of course the choice is yours, but its already too tight for 8 piggies in a 9x2 cage. A 9x2 would be fine for 7 piggies but 8 piggies in there means it only just meets minimum size so adding another two piggies would not be recommended and would definitely push it below minimum size. You would need a 2x12 on a single level for a herd of 10 piggies.

I see your point.

Oh, a thought is occurring to me - once the babies are grown and no longer need the extra grids, I could put the 10-strong herd on the bottom level and expand that to a 2x11 or 2x12, perhaps also with a loft. So this could be merely a temporary solution for while they are small.

I see your point.

Oh, a thought is occurring to me - once the babies are grown and no longer need the extra grids, I could put the 10-strong herd on the bottom level and expand that to a 2x11 or 2x12, perhaps also with a loft. So this could be merely a temporary solution for while they are small.

The issue is that changing their environment could risk triggering issues particularly for such a large herd. It would best to get them into their intended cage of suitable size from the beginning

If the cage was at minimum size with 10 piggies in it, then as a temporary cage until you could expand it to recommended then it may be ok but as it would be below minimum, then it just wouldn’t be a good idea even temporarily

I'll see about an enclosure expansion sooner rather than later, then. I'll have to work it into the ol' budget somehow. Got a lot of extra expenses lately.

I could babyproof the bottom row and make it a 2x12. They might have to hang out up top for a month or two while I get the money together though... I'll try to minimize the disturbance to the herd by bringing along some smelly houses and bedding - I appreciate the warning about moving enclosures triggering issues. I'm pretty confident this particular bunch would do fine moving, they have a very stable and uncontested hierarchy.

Let me think... I'll need a crossbar... and babyproofing grids... and a coroplast extension. I think I already have the ~11 spare grids and an extra hinge bar for the lid. That shouldn't be too expensive at all.

Back