Opinions on best way to roof a 5x2 c&c, please

Her Nibship

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We are getting an 8 week old Boxer puppy, so I am wanting to put a roof/lid on Andrew & Caroline's 5x2 c&c. Our old dog, bless her, hadn't been able to manage the stairs since before the wheekers were up there, and in any case there is a stairgate at the bottom & the door to the room is usually kept closed. The stairgate will remain & although the new puppy won't be able to manage the stairs for a while even if it was accidentally left open I am obviously not taking any chances. What do you guys think will be the best way to roof the c&c? As I've said, it's 5x2, made from white grids connected with cable ties. Would making a lid from extra grids be best? If so, what would be the best method to use to get maximum strength and stability? Or would a purpose made lid/roof be better? If so, do you think a white one would be hard to source? Sorry - so many questions!

If you google photos of commercial grid lids, you can see how to make them yourself with grids and cable ties. My current set up is white, made from Amazon basics cube wire storage, which is very affordable and comes in different size packs. You'd just want to check the size of the grids, as some vary slightly.

To make a roof out of grids, you can overlap and cable tie grids together. Use 3 grids for the roof per side grid (I hope that makes sense!), so for a 5 long c&c you will need 15 grids for the roof. Put two grids side by side together, then lay a third on top overlapping them, cable tie them all together so they no longer flex. Then take three more grids and do the same thing but then cable tie the second set of three to the first set of three, then repeat. Then cable tie them to the back of the cage to act as a hinge.
You will need a support bar or two from the front to the back of the cage as the roof will need support when it is closed.

it can sometimes be easier to have the roof in two independent sections rather than thing to lift the whole thing in one go which can sometimes be tricky! So have a 2x2 section of roof and a 3x2 section of roof

Back