• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Operations at 6 yrs old?

• Thread starter Thread starter spudnik
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spudnik

so if you read my other thread about lois you'll know that her thing popped that was on her side, and i was told the best thing was to remove it, or she could just have anti-biotics once a month to sort out the infection, and i chose not to have the op on her.. but I'm feeling differently now, but of course ive got really big worries.

the wound isnt healing, its just getting worse and its next to her foot so she keeps catching it, ive been bathing it, shes on baytril and ive tried to cover it but its not working, and its just looking more raw, sore and it keeps bleeding, and i really dont want her to be in any pain with it.

i thought maybe i should opt for the surgery, as she cant carry on the way she is.. she doesnt appear in pain, and is still fine in herself, still eating/drinking/pooping/peeing normally and everything, I'm just worried that because shes 6 that she might not have the energy a younger may have to get back on her feet after surgery, or make it through surgery.

ive had a piggy operated on when she was 5, gucci had the same problem and they did a good job and made it look nice and neat but gucci went downhill very quickly after surgery, her teeth overgrew which then resulted in me syringe feeding her every meal. i really dont want this to happen again, and I'm so confused as to what to do :'(

i need some advice, and some reassurance really that surgery is the best thing for her? has anyone else had a piggy operated on in the past that was this age and made it through ok?

she has never had surgery before btw, this would be her first time.

Oh no claire, I was hoping it would have started healing by now :'(
I honestly don't know what to suggest as I've never been in your situation so I'll leave it up to someone with more experience to advise you,
all I can say is if it was my guinea pig and she was in pain I'd opt for surgery, there doesn't seem any other way round it.
((((hugs))))
lisa
x

Thanks Lisa, I was hoping it would heal too, but its not going to by looks of things.. she also said the lump looked like it was cancerous, and they could remove the other lumps she has at the same time as shes quite a big stocky guinea pig with plenty of spare skin. i think this is prob the only option i have left..

What a predicament.
I chose not to have Fluffy spayed for her ovarian cysts because of her age (she is nearly 6 too).
All I keep thinking is that if the wound isn't healing, she might find it hard to recover from the op. :-\
What does the vet think? I guess it up to you to make he decision ultimately.

I'm sorry to hear about lois. Have you tried bathing it in diluted hibiscrub? You can get a big bottle in Boots for about £5 and it's great stuff. You do have to ask for it at the counter though. I used it on a sore on Jacks foot that wouldn't clear up and it was gone within a week or two. I suggested it to my vet who said it was good stuff to use.

yeah thats what I'm using to bathe her in, i got a bottle from the vets last time i was there..

if you imagine someone taking a 2 pence coin and drawing around it then taking that chunk off, it looks like that its quite big, and its just getting worse my mum says it looks like shes possibly been eating at it as its getting deeper.. i think my only option is for her to have the op and keep everything crossed that it goes well, shes a very strong character and i just hope her strength can pull her through the op. I'm gunna get my mum to ring vets soon and see when they can fit her in.

I had a guinea pig with this exact same problem last year. She was nearly 6 and the tumour she had was cancerous. I chose not to have her operated on and put to sleep instead as I didn't want to put her through an operation at that age and also because it was cancerous it was quite likely it had spread elsewhere. It was a very difficult decision to make and I did wonder afterwards whether I had done the right thing. Only you can decide what to do for your piggie. Good luck.

Just had a look at your other thread and I thought it was a Sebaceous cyst, if it this they do grow then 'explode' (sometimes) leaving a big crater which iswhy I have them removed,

If its malignant then you need to make the decision of whether to say goodbye now(when the time comes) or to go ahead with the op. I've had older pigs operated on, and often we don't know the age of rescue pigs, its more about their health. Have never lost a pig :)

If it were my pig I would want to know the chances of the op being successful, if it was only a small chance (ie the 'tumour' is malignant) I would pts, but it is your decision, your pig and you are there and can see how good/bad things are :)

Can't they stitch the sides of the crater together?

Is she on Vetbed in a small space?

Sorry thats not reassuring is it?!

its ok, i mean id rather have her operated on than pts,and take the chance on her surviving the anaesthetic as shes not gone downhill in herself, shes still the bubbly character she always is, shes eating fine as usual and she hasnt lost weight or anything, she isnt just sat around doing nothing shes up and about, being nosey and everything. she is on vet bed its a rabbit 100 deluxe cage, shes living with meeka in my room.

at the vets she said that the anaesthetic they use now compared to a few years ago, they have a much higher survival rate but then on the other hand she also said small animals dont take well to anaesthetic. so I'm confused with that one. ive had gucci operated on she passed away a few months after her surgery as she just went downhill since the day i brought her home, she said even though it may be cancerous they could remove the other lumps too..

I'm so confused, i dont want to put her to sleep, but she cant carry on like she is.. so then it just leaves surgery

I'm so upset i really dont know whats best :'(

So are they going to take away any lump and stitch the crater up? Aftercare is more of a problem for small animals than the anaesthetic these days, usually. She has to tell you there is a risk- because there is with all ops. Just be prepared with probiotics, Oxbow Critical care etc etc. You won't know whats best until you've made the choice :) you don't how it will go :) You have a tough decision but it must be yours :)

Hi there,
Sorry to hear about your problem, at present i have a 6 year old struggling to recover from an anaesthetic, but on other hand last year i had a 7 year old undergo surgery to remove her eye. She was home within hours, everyone was so surprised she was up and eating as soon as she woke. So I guess it just depends whether they want to live enough. I know its a difficult decision and know matter what u do if it goes the wrong way u will wish u had done the opposite (well i do anyway, guilt is an awful thing)
Anyway hope things work out
Mandy

I have had 6 and 7 year old pigs operated on and they have been fine.Everything of course depends on the experience of the vet,and the general condition of the pig.

I have never seen a sebaceous cyst in the condition that you describe.They can get large craters when they burst,but normally they dry up quite quickly.I am a bit puzzled here,did the vet not suture the edges together if the wound was very large?.As the cyst is causing all this trouble I would have it removed.After all it is external surgery,not invasive internal surgery.I cannot understand why the vet has left it to get like this.

You say she is eating etc o.k,so the surgery should be fine.If the vet uses Vesoflurine she will be round very quickly after the op.I personaly would get this done asap,but the choice is yours alone,she is your piggy and you must go with what your instinct tells you.

Good luck whatever you decide.

just a quick update - Ive booked Lois in to have the operation with my usual vets, she will be taken down on wednesday evening and transported to the operating clinic that night and be operated on thursday morning, so hopefully if everything goes well I might be able to have her back home thursday night if they can get her back to my local clinic for when i finish work.. if not and shes ok i might see if my bf will take me to the operating clinic (which is also a walk in vets) its a bit further away but if she can come home on thurs id rather travel to get her :)

btw.. i dont know if anyone else does this.. but am I ok to take some stuff with her like her toys/cuddle cup etc? i dont know if my vets give them fresh food so i'll give her a good lunch before she goes n thought of taking a few carrots/babycorn with me for them to give after surgery because she loves those, and the dry food that she is fed at home, and her willoe ball stuffed with her fav hay? or would that be taking it too far? i just want her to have stuff around her she usually does as shes in there all night on her own she needs something to do..

Yes,take some of her fav.things to comfort her.Better still,if possible take another gp.Sows hate to be by themselves.If I have to leave a piggy at the surgery,even for a few hours,I always take a companian pig,unless it is one of my single boars.

My vet always had fresh veg on the premiises to give post op gps//buns/.Just in case your vet does not,take some veggies with you.

Make sure your vet knows not to starve the piggy for hours before the op.This is not necessary because gps do not vomit.One or two hours is enough.

yeah when i had gucci done i gave her food before i took her in, and asked them about it and they said they always keep the food in with guinea pigs.. i'll take everything with me, I'm not sure if they would let another sow go with her - they are a bit funny at my vets.. is there any foods that are best for her have before she has the op.. like peppers with plenty of vit c or anything or just her usual mix of stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back