• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

operation to remove abscess

• Thread starter Thread starter mum
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mum

Poor little Spice is back at the vets at 3pm about his abscess.He was anaesthetized and it was lanced and drained about 6 weeks ago but it came back so I took him to the CCT,where he stayed for 3 weeks.But its back up and huge.He has been back to the vets and they said operate to remove it.Has anyone else had this done.I"m really worried about another anaesthetic.What happens if you just leave the abscess alone,will it pop naturally?He is eating and running about.The abscess is on the underside of his back leg.Any advice would be great.

Sorry to hear little Spice is going thru this :'( :'( :'( I've never had an abscess experience near a leg, ours has always been near the jaw line >:(
If Spice is a feisty character you should be fine, our Duke has had heaps of aneas and particularly in the past 12 months would've been under at least i'd estimate 20 times... :( :( he also has toofie probs and all associated with abscess' grrrr.
As long as you feel confident with your vet and you can chat them freely and Spice feels comfortable i see no problem. I always take in our towels and box, plus our veggies and treats so he knows it's from home :smitten: even if you have a little friend or a stuffed toy they can go along as well when they have to be hospitalised.
Wishing you all the very very best and crossing our paws for little Spice, good luck mate, from us both :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks for that,I feel abit better now.I"m now going to take him and see what the vet wants to do.

Mum,

The abcess will burst but the danger is that he may be able to reach round to lick it,and the ingested pus could cause septiceamia.As the abcess is recurring it might be best to have it surgically removed.Done by a competant vet this is a straightforward proceedure,and should lrequire little sedation.

I cannot understand why your vet sedated the piggy to lance an abcess?,this is not necessary.

Let us know how you get on at the vets.

want to wish you good luck, but i do agree with maryh..they dont normally sedate to lance an abcess do they?

He was definately sedated to have it lanced,the vet felt it was less traumatic for him.
The vet does want to operate as it just won"t go by itself.He thinks the main chamber has a wall round it that is stopping the pus from coming out!There is also a second lump coming up by the side of the main one.He is provisionally booked in to have it operated on but i wanted to read some more of your posts first before I agree to have it done,

Scarby had one removed surgically from under his chin under GA.

Normally Roger lances without GA but this was very bad. Scarby made a good recovery although he had to stay overnight at Roger's.

If you can try to ask for isoflurane for anaesthetic. Humans have it too. It has a very good wake-up. O0

Good luck :)

Mum,

From what the vet has said,I think surgery is the answer here.We all like to avoid invasive treatment when possible,but this abcess is not going to clear up with antibiotics,and the pus could get into the system and make him very ill.

If you are confident in your vet,and think that he has enough experience of oiperating on gps,then get the surgery done asap.Please do ask your vet how many gps he has actually operated on and what aneasthetic does he use.If you are not happy,look for another vet.You have the right to get the best possible for your piggy.

When you take him in for surgery the vet may advise you to starve the piggy for 8 hours or more.This is not necessary because gps cannot vomit.,and as they are grazers they cannot go without food for that long.If the piggy is going in at 8.30 in the morning,do not remove the food until about 6am.Do not remove the water.

Other members have already advised you to take a companion pig or soft toy for company.,plus favourite food in a tupperware type box.

Make sure you have some vet beds ready for when he comes home,and you will need some 1ml syringes to give him water if he does not start drinking straight away.Have some Critical Care or Recovery handy as well in case he is off his food.,although with this type of external surgery he should be o.k. anyway.

Yes, good points made by Mary about the vetbed and Recovery food.

If - and I sincerely hope this doesn't happen - he has any difficulty waking up, (Scarby had this) try to get his blink reflex moving very gently. Again this technique is used for humans. :)

Wishing you both the very best of luck O0
Let us know how it goes?

Thanks for all the advice, its great to "talk" to people who understand how you feel.

Mum, its really important to take in their fave food for after the op to encourage them to eat. Take Lettuce, Cucumber, whatever you think. I always take a small bag of grass in when I go and pick them up for the way home.

Piggies should be able to eat right up until surgery and right after, there's no need to take food away at all. Surgery for removing an abscess is a wee bit different from getting it lanced - usually the vets remove the tissue that encapsulates the pus so there's no infected tissue to make it fill up again.

Feel free to have a wee read of my good experience of having an abscess removed from my piggy's ear last year. One year on you'd think nothing had happened!

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32171

:) Mine have food up until the op too and then they're mouths are flushed out with water before to clear out any debris that may choke them. The majority of mine eat afterwards too and if they don't for someone reason our nurses syringe feed them Oxbow Critical Care.

Thanks for all the posts,Spice has his operation on monday morning.That was the first opportunity that the vet I like was available.It also gives little Spice an extra few days to put abit of weight on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back