• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

One pig passed away, health of other?

D

Deleted member 134757

This is only my second time using this website so sorry if I've posted in the wrong thread or etc (Brown pig is Bruno, the other is Oreo)

Part 1 - Recently, my 6-7 year old boy, Bruno has passed away. He was perfectly fine the day before, ate veggies and hay and pellets like normal, was running around and just his usual self. The day I found him, that morning he was fine, still his usual self. Since I was busy that day I didn't get a chance to check my room that much but as I was going to feed him and Oreo (my other guinea pig) cucumber, I reached in to wake him up and he was cold and stiff. No sign of discharge or blood or anything else I can think of. I have this hanging feeling of guilt for not noticing sooner that something was wrong... it's been a week and a half since then, is there something I may have done wrong?

Part 2 to this story - My boy Oreo is still alive and kicking, he's seemed unbothered this last week about his brother. Unfortunatly, since ill be going to college within the next year, I wont have time to take care of another pig if i choose to get him a friend, so ive decided i will dedicate more time to him now to still give him company. He is the same age as Bruno. Today though, I came home from school to see him laying on his side. He's been doing this all day and hasn't been touching his veggies (fresh Romain) as much as normal... he's also had runny stools. I'm not sure if he is just grieving, maybe ill or maybe just old. Just looking for feedback. Thanks for listening to my story ^-^

Attachments

• 20190322_222633.webp
    20190322_222633.webp
    56.2 KB · Views: 4
I'm so sorry for your loss.
You won’t have done anything wrong. If you didn’t notice any signs of illness or any weight loss, then it may simply have just been his time.

As for Oreo, he sounds to be unwell. Please have him seen by a vet - if he has been laying on his side all day, not moving and not eating hay (veggies are not the main part of the diet), then this is very concerning and he needs to be seen asap.

The other home care things you need to do are:

- stop feeding veggies for the time being. As he has soft poops, then he has a digestive upset.
- switch from the routine weekly weight checks and weigh him once a day so you can monitor his hay intake
- step in with syringe feeding immediately to replace his fibre intake and maintain his weight each day. The daily weight checks tell you how much syringe feed you need to give each day.
You will need to be sure he is still able to swallow the syringe feed

I hope he is ok

Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Digestive Disorders: Not Eating - Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement)

I’m sorry you’ve lost Bruno. Please don’t feel guilty that you may have missed any signs. They hide their illnesses so well. Good luck with Oreo at the vets.

I’m so sorry you lost Bruno, piggies can die very suddenly and it’s such an awful shock to find them
I Hope you can get Orero to a vet, he doesn’t sound well at all 🤞

This is only my second time using this website so sorry if I've posted in the wrong thread or etc (Brown pig is Bruno, the other is Oreo)

Part 1 - Recently, my 6-7 year old boy, Bruno has passed away. He was perfectly fine the day before, ate veggies and hay and pellets like normal, was running around and just his usual self. The day I found him, that morning he was fine, still his usual self. Since I was busy that day I didn't get a chance to check my room that much but as I was going to feed him and Oreo (my other guinea pig) cucumber, I reached in to wake him up and he was cold and stiff. No sign of discharge or blood or anything else I can think of. I have this hanging feeling of guilt for not noticing sooner that something was wrong... it's been a week and a half since then, is there something I may have done wrong?

Part 2 to this story - My boy Oreo is still alive and kicking, he's seemed unbothered this last week about his brother. Unfortunatly, since ill be going to college within the next year, I wont have time to take care of another pig if i choose to get him a friend, so ive decided i will dedicate more time to him now to still give him company. He is the same age as Bruno. Today though, I came home from school to see him laying on his side. He's been doing this all day and hasn't been touching his veggies (fresh Romain) as much as normal... he's also had runny stools. I'm not sure if he is just grieving, maybe ill or maybe just old. Just looking for feedback. Thanks for listening to my story ^-^
Thank you everyone for the advice

Thank you everyone for your advice and sympathy. I failed to mention in my first post, yesterday was 86° F (30° C), which made it quite hot in my house. I took precautions such as giving him fresh cold water and wrapping an ice pack up with a towel and placing it in his cage to cool off with. I figured his lethargy may have been due to this. This morning I checked on him when it was much cooler and he seems more active, walking and eating hay and such. I believe his illness may be my fault, since Bruno has passed I haven't really adjusted the daily veggie amount, I believe this could possibly be causing soft stools. I will closely monitor him and get him to a vet as soon as I can. Thanks again for everyone's responses!

Thank you everyone for the advice

Thank you everyone for your advice and sympathy. I failed to mention in my first post, yesterday was 86° F (30° C), which made it quite hot in my house. I took precautions such as giving him fresh cold water and wrapping an ice pack up with a towel and placing it in his cage to cool off with. I figured his lethargy may have been due to this. This morning I checked on him when it was much cooler and he seems more active, walking and eating hay and such. I believe his illness may be my fault, since Bruno has passed I haven't really adjusted the daily veggie amount, I believe this could possibly be causing soft stools. I will closely monitor him and get him to a vet as soon as I can. Thanks again for everyone's responses!
You have a PM from the staff team. Please access this by clicking the envelope in the top right corner of your screen and respond

Back