One pig left, should I get more?

PB&U

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve had 3 boars for about 5 years, and unfortunately over the last couple months, two of them had to be pts. All 3 of them lived in their own C&C cage next door to each other for company. Bambi, my last remaining pig, was probably the most anti-social of the 3 of them. So far, over the last week, he seems to be doing ok with no change in weight or behavior. Bambi is now a little over 5 1/2.

When looking on Craigslist just for kicks, I came across a super cute pair of boars, that are 3 years old. They look decently taken care of, and their family is looking to rehome them.

On one hand I’d love to get them. Looks wise they remind me of my 2 piggies that past, they are super cute, and I know I would give them an excellent home (I worry about who might else pick them up off Craigslist). It also feels lonely with only one pig. I can’t read Bambi’s mind, and he seems like he’s doing fine, but it seems so quiet and lonely for him when I’m gone.

On the other hand, I always planned on taking a few years off from Guinea pigs once all 3 of mine passed, so I’d have a little more freedom day to day and going on longer trips. I also am still grieving my other 2 pigs, and don’t know if I’m emotionally or mentally ready to start caring for 3 Guinea pigs again. And lastly, even though the new 2 and Bambi wouldn’t be in the same enclosure, I worry Bambi’s “manliness” next door might cause issues for the already established two.

So yeah, I don’t know what to do. I know I’d give them a great home, and they are so cute I worry where they might end up if I don’t get them.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Austin

I am sorry for your losses. That must have been hard making those decisions.

When taking on piggies in that kind of situation, you always have to go in with your eyes open. They may not tell you everything but if you are aware and ready to accept whatever comes then that’s fine.
Your five year old could live another 3 years or so, which would be lonely without the company of another pig. Are there any rescues near you where you could take him dating to choose his own friend? That would be the best route to take.

Otherwise, if you get a pair, they can live next door to him and have the interaction through the grids. I wouldn’t suggest trying to bond them all as you would then also risk the bond between the pair, if it all went horribly wrong.

The other thing, and I don’t know if any rescues in US offer it, is to foster a pig to keep your boy company. Once he passes away you would then ‘surrender’ the companion back to the rescue.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations

I am sorry for your losses. That must have been hard making those decisions.

When taking on piggies in that kind of situation, you always have to go in with your eyes open. They may not tell you everything but if you are aware and ready to accept whatever comes then that’s fine.
Your five year old could live another 3 years or so, which would be lonely without the company of another pig. Are there any rescues near you where you could take him dating to choose his own friend? That would be the best route to take.

Otherwise, if you get a pair, they can live next door to him and have the interaction through the grids. I wouldn’t suggest trying to bond them all as you would then also risk the bond between the pair, if it all went horribly wrong.

The other thing, and I don’t know if any rescues in US offer it, is to foster a pig to keep your boy company. Once he passes away you would then ‘surrender’ the companion back to the rescue.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations
Thank you:) Yes my biggest concern is if these pigs ended up having medical issues, I would obviously take good care of them, but I certainly don’t want to step into that situation as I don’t feel mentally ready for it. Bambi’s actually gained a bit of weight recently, and still popcorns when I let him out for floor time. So far he seems unphased by not having company, but I’m sure it’s still important for them to have interaction with their own species. Thank you again, you’ve given me some things to think about:)

Hi

I am very sorry about your loss.

If you are looking for a good rescue in your area, please contact Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue; it is by far the best and you will be in safe hands there.
Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue

You may fine these guides here helpful if you want to take on piggies privately, so you know the various pitfalls and can brace for them: Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Thank you for your condolences and for sharing that information:) I will check out those articles. Unfortunately that rescue is on the other side of the country from me:/ If I do decide to get more, I feel like I’m kinda set on the two I’m looking at, but from the article you shared I can see there is definitely more opportunity for complications dealing with a private individual vs a rescue

Thank you for your condolences and for sharing that information:) I will check out those articles. Unfortunately that rescue is on the other side of the country from me:/ If I do decide to get more, I feel like I’m kinda set on the two I’m looking at, but from the article you shared I can see there is definitely more opportunity for complications dealing with a private individual vs a rescue

Just as long as you are aware of it.

Back