One of my piggies died, what to do next?

yucombinator

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This week, one of our three guinea pigs suddenly passed away. Chai, who was only 3 years old, had appeared healthy and in good spirits until she began to fumble around the cage as if she were partially paralyzed. Shortly thereafter, she had a seizure and passed away. Her death came suddenly, and we had no idea it was going to happen.

Now, I need advice regarding the two remaining pigs, Mocha (Chai's sister) and Latte (a younger, smaller pig), who do not get along well. Latte is a timid pig that Mocha constantly bullies by randomly nipping at her and stealing her food. Latte is now hiding all the time, and when Chai was around, she kept Mocha in check, and Latte was not bullied nearly as much.

At present, I am unable to get another guinea pig. Therefore, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to rehouse Mocha and Latte separately? I feel like they would be happier in either away from each other or in a bigger pig family, to limit the bullying.

A photo of them:
Chai being a potato:

I’m sorry for your loss.

While nipping and taking food are normal behaviors and gestures of power, if it tips over into bullying then it is a problem. Bullying is a sustained behaviour which can result in the underpig becoming withdrawn, depressed and potentially losing weight through not being allowed enough access to hay (as well as other food). If this occurs, then it can mean a permanent separation is needed.

This guide may help you.
Bonds In Trouble
You can carry out a trial separation to see if Latte perks up when away from Mocha. If she does then that is likely the answer that the separation may need to be made permanent. You can try a neutral territory reintroduction to allow them to give their final answer if they want to be together. If they don’t, then the separation would need to be permament. Make sure you go by what Latte says, not Mocha.

Adding a third piggy (should you decide to do so) will not heal any issues or dislikes between current piggies. It just means you’ve got two piggies who would probably become close and the third still gets left out.

I’ve got a rather similar problem which does need attention. Maybe self inflicted so a warning about separation?

I had 4 sows last year all kept together in a large c&c setup. Similar ages about 10 months now.

One was VERY dominant and was a bully . No doubt . So the breeder kindly took her back.
then 3 together without any particular problem.
then the youngest sadly fell terribly ill and had to have a trip to the vets.

so I kept the remaining 2 apart by a c&c partition because they were acting distressed by the new set up and weren’t happy with each other. About 3 months now. They often interact very happily through the bars now and smell each other etc. no sign of any problem at all. Even lick or kiss sometimes. Smell each others bum.

I know a new bond needs neutral territory but these are used to each other. I have to go into hospital later in the year and I know someone who will take a happily bonded pair but not so keen on singles.

so do I try a trial with the partition down ? or do the whole bonding thing on neutral territory. I can’t face a fight at 2am !

anyone had a similar problem who has experience please.

v grateful..

I’ve got a rather similar problem which does need attention. Maybe self inflicted so a warning about separation?

I had 4 sows last year all kept together in a large c&c setup. Similar ages about 10 months now.

One was VERY dominant and was a bully . No doubt . So the breeder kindly took her back.
then 3 together without any particular problem.
then the youngest sadly fell terribly ill and had to have a trip to the vets.

so I kept the remaining 2 apart by a c&c partition because they were acting distressed by the new set up and weren’t happy with each other. About 3 months now. They often interact very happily through the bars now and smell each other etc. no sign of any problem at all. Even lick or kiss sometimes. Smell each others bum.

I know a new bond needs neutral territory but these are used to each other. I have to go into hospital later in the year and I know someone who will take a happily bonded pair but not so keen on singles.

so do I try a trial with the partition down ? or do the whole bonding thing on neutral territory. I can’t face a fight at 2am !

anyone had a similar problem who has experience please.

v grateful..

As they have been living separated for a long time then a full rebonding on neutral territory is needed.
If you just remove the barrier and allow them
To wander into each other’s half of the cage then it can risk problems

Do bear in mind that interactions between a barrier are not indicative of how things will go during a bonding. Some behaviors at the bar can be territorial and not necessarily because they want to be together and able to share a space

Back