One of my guinea pigs died, what should I do with my lone one?

peachynpigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I adopted a pair of male guinea pigs a few months ago, and one of them, the less dominant one, suddenly stopped eating and in less than 3 days, sadly passed away. the other piggie has been eating and drinking water, acting normally, even a bit more cuddly; I know they have to live in 2+ so I was just wondering, how long should I let Billy grieve before adopting another piggie? Information online is confusing and I haven't gotten a definite answer. Thanks in advance! ^^

I’m sorry for your loss.

As he is still eating and seems ok (although he will be grieving) then you have up to a couple of weeks to find a new friend for him. If he starts to struggle being alone, then it becomes more urgent to find a new friend.

(I just want to clarify one point though - in your post you mention that you know they need to live in ‘2+’. As you have a male piggy, he can only live with one other male piggy. You cannot keep more than two male piggies together as they will fight.)

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your loss!

If you struggle with feelings feeling of guilt or failure or feel overwhelmed, you may find our guinea pig owners grieving guide helpful for yourself. It is very practical but sensitive: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

It is great that you want to find new company for your bereaved boy.

Most piggies will mourn for several days and will be rather withdrawn. As long as they are eating and drinking and are picking up again somewhat (if without their normal sparkle), then they can usually wait 1-4 weeks. This will usually allow you to get over the initial wave of grieving and giving you time to do organise a new friend. For a special piggy, it is even worth waiting a bit longer as long as your piggy can cope.
Any piggy that really struggles is either ill (the stress of a death can lower the immune system, especially in older guinea pigs so please see a vet if needed) or that cannot cope with being alone will need a friend as soon as possible, but that is thankfully a minority.

Please take the time to read these links here for helpful advice and practical tips:
- A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars (the guide contains a chapter on how to go about companionship for a boar)
- Before you put any guinea pigs together, please double-check the gender in both cavies. Mis-sexing is sadly very common: Illustrated Sexing Guide
- Here is our very detailed step-by-step bonding guide with pictures and videos, which you may find very helpful: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry for your loss.

I’ve had to find two friends for bereaved piggies. I usually find them a friend sooner rather than later. I’ve always found a baby to bond with an older boar and so far I’ve not had any fall outs. Good luck finding a compatible friend for your boy. Do you have rescues near you? They may be able to help with bonding your boar and a friend. Good luck.

I’m sorry for your loss.

As he is still eating and seems ok (although he will be grieving) then you have up to a couple of weeks to find a new friend for him. If he starts to struggle being alone, then it becomes more urgent to find a new friend.

(I just want to clarify one point though - in your post you mention that you know they need to live in ‘2+’. As you have a male piggy, he can only live with one other male piggy. You cannot keep more than two male piggies together as they will fight.)

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
thank you so much for answering! he has been eating and acting all normal so I think I can give him, and myself, a little more time to grieve Obi. thank you again, have a nice day! ^^

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry for your loss.

I’ve had to find two friends for bereaved piggies. I usually find them a friend sooner rather than later. I’ve always found a baby to bond with an older boar and so far I’ve not had any fall outs. Good luck finding a compatible friend for your boy. Do you have rescues near you? They may be able to help with bonding your boar and a friend. Good luck.
thank you for the answer! from what I've been reading, it would be better to pair Billy up with a younger piggie? he's almost 5 months old and when Obi was alive, Billy was the more dominant, outgoing piggie out of the pair, so I'm quite scared getting another boar will cause some dominance issues.
I do have some rescue centers near, thanks for the advice! Have a nice day! ^^

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your loss!

If you struggle with feelings feeling of guilt or failure or feel overwhelmed, you may find our guinea pig owners grieving helpful for yourself. It is very practical but sensitive: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

It is great that you want to find new company for your bereaved boy.

Most piggies will mourn for several days and will be rather withdrawn. As long as they are eating and drinking and are picking up again somewhat (if without their normal sparkle), then they can usually wait 1-4 weeks. This will usually allow you to get over the initial wave of grieving and giving you time to do organise a new friend. For a special piggy, it is even worth waiting a bit longer as long as your piggy can cope.
Any piggy that really struggles is either ill (the stress of a death can lower the immune system, especially in older guinea pigs so please see a vet if needed) or that cannot cope with being alone will need a friend as soon as possible, but that is thankfully a minority.

Please take the time to read these links here for helpful advice and practical tips:
- A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars (the guide contains a chapter on how to go about companionship for a boar)
- Before you put any guinea pigs together, please double-check the gender in both cavies. Mis-sexing is sadly very common: Illustrated Sexing Guide
- Here is our very detailed step-by-step bonding guide with pictures and videos, which you may find very helpful: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
thank you for such a detailed and backed up answer! really means a lot as a quite new pig mom <3 Billy has been doing really good, eating, drinking water and even popcorning every once in a while, so I think I'm gonna give him and myself a little more time to grieve Obi's passing, thank you so much again, have a nice day! ^^

Back