Older piggy diets

Char.wilson

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a male guinea pig called Dougie who is between 3 and a half and 4 years old. He has recently been to the vets for a possible case of minor bloat. My vet said he was a little bit gassy but she couldn't find any blockages and he was still eating and pooping normally. As a precaution he was given Emeprid for 4 days before getting the all clear.

My vet and I did notice that he has lost a bit of weight since the beginning of this year. He used to be between 1150-1250g but is now weighing in at about 1000-1050g. He is still eating and drinking happily and very active. Aside from the minor weight loss his faeces have been a little off the last month whereby every now and then one-two are a bit clumpy or smaller/tear shaped (90% are still healthy and normal though). Finally, he has had some very minor impaction recently and can occasionally be seen with a poop "half-out" and hanging so to speak for a few minutes.

My vet seems to think he is just getting a bit older so his metabolism/digestion is slowing. I am trying to be a bit more on it in checking for impaction or any other blockages but I am looking for advice in the care for older piggy's as he is my first. Are there any foods recommended for older pigs to help his metabolism (and help him get some weight back)? His vet has said she is happy he has a balanced diet at the minute as his teeth are in excellent condition but I am wondering if he is starting to need something extra? Furthermore I just wanted confirmation that he is about the right age for this or whether anything I have said is a bit more of a red flag that I haven't been aware of? Lastly any other general advice for older piggy's would be very much appreciated as I am trying to do right be him.

Sorry for the essay but any advice would be absolutely golden <3

The best diet for him, regardless of age, is
always plenty of hay, and then more hay!
One cup of veg - although if he is struggling with gas and dodgy poops you should cut the veg and out until he is recovered*
One tablespoon of pellets per day.

What you should do is weigh him daily during this medical episode so you can monitor how he is and his hay intake more closely. Once he is better then you can go back to the normal weekly weight checks.

* once he is recovered after you can reintroduce veg very slowly. Once small piece of one type at a time for a few days, monitor his respite to it before adding any more veg back in. If he is having any digestive issues then you may need to adjust his veg more - we can help with further information as and when you get to that stage.

The guides below will help further

Hi Everyone,

I have a male guinea pig called Dougie who is between 3 and a half and 4 years old. He has recently been to the vets for a possible case of minor bloat. My vet said he was a little bit gassy but she couldn't find any blockages and he was still eating and pooping normally. As a precaution he was given Emeprid for 4 days before getting the all clear.

My vet and I did notice that he has lost a bit of weight since the beginning of this year. He used to be between 1150-1250g but is now weighing in at about 1000-1050g. He is still eating and drinking happily and very active. Aside from the minor weight loss his faeces have been a little off the last month whereby every now and then one-two are a bit clumpy or smaller/tear shaped (90% are still healthy and normal though). Finally, he has had some very minor impaction recently and can occasionally be seen with a poop "half-out" and hanging so to speak for a few minutes.

My vet seems to think he is just getting a bit older so his metabolism/digestion is slowing. I am trying to be a bit more on it in checking for impaction or any other blockages but I am looking for advice in the care for older piggy's as he is my first. Are there any foods recommended for older pigs to help his metabolism (and help him get some weight back)? His vet has said she is happy he has a balanced diet at the minute as his teeth are in excellent condition but I am wondering if he is starting to need something extra? Furthermore I just wanted confirmation that he is about the right age for this or whether anything I have said is a bit more of a red flag that I haven't been aware of? Lastly any other general advice for older piggy's would be very much appreciated as I am trying to do right be him.

Sorry for the essay but any advice would be absolutely golden <3

Hi

A normal balanced grass hay based diet is best for a long life as well as impaction prevention. It has everything he will need; there are sadly no magic wand measures that can slow the process of time. The metabolism is the rate in which organs process nutrients and nutrition; there is nothing you can do about that. Guinea pigs have a much faster metabolism than we humans and they are a lot smaller; this is the time it starts to turn against them - in fast forward. :(
We see basically the same issues as in very elderly humans - the 80-100 year olds.

You may find this link here helpful. It gives you access to our old age information and practical care guides as well as further links for all the little unwelcome hangers on that old age sadly comes with and all the practical care information for piggies who don't move around much and sit in their excrement or who struggle to lift their head to drink from the water bottle etc. You may want to bookmark the link since we cannot type it all out.
Please also take a deep breath: Impaction only ever affects about every tenth older boar at the most - and with an improved hay centred diet the rate is actually come down from that - impaction queries feature much less on our forum than they used to; especially the extreme cases. Turns out, a lot of impaction actually down to less than ideal regular diets.

Back