• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Older Piggie Weight Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
A few months ago, Sammy lost quite a lot of weight. Although he has been eating normally since, he has never put that weight back on and is rather thin. His weight has remained constant at just over a kilo, making him even lighter than little Tom.

What I am wondering is, whether it would be a good idea to try to increase his weight by syringe-feeding him or whether this would just make him feel full and eat less. He currently eats well (hay, pellets and fresh veg), poos and wees normally and generally seems to be happy and well apart from being rather underweight.

What do you think? (he is 5 1/2)

You haven't actually said what his current weight is ? ::) I personally think the syringe feeding may be a bit OTT at the moment and it would almost certainly cause him a lot of stress. As he is eating OK now and doing his business, I think you may be worrying needlessly. Certainly if he lost any more weight I would get him checked over by a Vet but it may just be that he's plateaued out now and will stay stable. Good luck, hope he's OK. :smitten:

Sam's current weight is just over a kilo (approx 1.05kg) and he has been this weight for a few months. But looking back, I see that last spring he was 1.25kg. At that time he looked a little too fat, but I think he's a bit too thin now. I would imagine around 1.15kg to 1.2 kg would be ideal.

I would leave him be. My Pookie is 5-6 and he is as light as a feather but eats very well, he's impacted but he is still VERY lively. I think as long as they are happy and eat well, leave well alone! O0

Just been on the SPH Supplies website and they have a feed called "Cavy Performance" - the blurb says it is good for piggies who have been poorly. It is a bit on the pricey side but maybe one pack will be all you need to get him back up to a good weight. Good luck. ::)

That sounds a good idea....although I shall have to work out how to give it to Sam without his cage-mate Roo having it too....Roo is def NOT underweight ;D ;D.
Perhaps he can have a shorter floor time than Roo and have some Cavy Performance before Roo goes back in the cage.

i think when piggies get older one of the signs of old age is losing weight and looking a bit thinner than usual, but if he seems fine in himself and is being normal with his eating habits etc then there isnt really any need to worry :)

Yep! Its just another sign of old age..............Cavy performance is expensive and he may not like it, just give him some extras of his favourite foods, but he really won't be putting on weight and fattening up again.....
I just feed Pookie with the others, then I give him extra parsley when the others are looking !

Aslong as he is staying a constant weight, eating well and going to the loo I think he will be fine O0 1.05kg is an okay weight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back