Older guinea pig seems unsure of new baby

Darcy2020

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

Our five year old guinea pig (still healthy and full of life) lost his brother a few months ago, so we have adopted a baby guinea pig after reading that these tend to have success (although no guarantee of course). When we introduced them on neutral territory, things seemed to go well with the usual rumble strutting, some mounting and a bit of chasing/following etc...no teeth chattering & no fights, both were even popcorning a bit. We haven't tried them in the main cage yet, but I've noticed that my older guinea pig seems as though he wants to leave the neutral area and go back to his home. He sometimes stay in one corner and almost seems a bit down (or perhaps a bit overwhelmed?). Has anyone else seen this before? My older guinea pig was the subissive one with his brother. He has asserted his 'authority' over the little one with lots of rumble strutting etc.... but the little one also seems to feel he could be in charge and rumbles and mounts my older guinea pig too. The older one sort of almost brushes this off, but perhaps he is finding the little one a bit overwhelming or maybe his nose is a bit out of place being challenged by a kid? They settle and take naps in separate fleeces, eat etc... The new one is so excited to see my older guinea pig that he nearly falls over from popcorning. There (so far, touch wood) have been no fights and no teeth chattering, but my older pig seems a bit put out. There wasn't anywhere that would allow us to introduce them in advance, but I was told this little guy was friendly and got along well with other, which seems true. I know sometimes personalites don't click or perhaps, he'll enjoy him more when he's a bit older. Has anyone had this happen before? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hello,

Our five year old guinea pig (still healthy and full of life) lost his brother a few months ago, so we have adopted a baby guinea pig after reading that these tend to have success (although no guarantee of course). When we introduced them on neutral territory, things seemed to go well with the usual rumble strutting, some mounting and a bit of chasing/following etc...no teeth chattering & no fights, both were even popcorning a bit. We haven't tried them in the main cage yet, but I've noticed that my older guinea pig seems as though he wants to leave the neutral area and go back to his home. He sometimes stay in one corner and almost seems a bit down (or perhaps a bit overwhelmed?). Has anyone else seen this before? My older guinea pig was the subissive one with his brother. He has asserted his 'authority' over the little one with lots of rumble strutting etc.... but the little one also seems to feel he could be in charge and rumbles and mounts my older guinea pig too. The older one sort of almost brushes this off, but perhaps he is finding the little one a bit overwhelming or maybe his nose is a bit out of place being challenged by a kid? They settle and take naps in separate fleeces, eat etc... The new one is so excited to see my older guinea pig that he nearly falls over from popcorning. There (so far, touch wood) have been no fights and no teeth chattering, but my older pig seems a bit put out. There wasn't anywhere that would allow us to introduce them in advance, but I was told this little guy was friendly and got along well with other, which seems true. I know sometimes personalites don't click or perhaps, he'll enjoy him more when he's a bit older. Has anyone had this happen before? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi and welcome

How long have they been together in the bonding pen?

So far the bonding seems to be going OK to me for once they are past acceptance.

Hi and welcome

How long have they been together in the bonding pen?

So far the bonding seems to be going OK to me for once they are past acceptance.
We had them together in the neutral area yesterday for about four hours and then we separated them overnight b/c I didnt feel they were settled yet. I've reintroduced them this morning in the neutral area as I"m working from home and they've been together for about three hours. The little one really seems to like my older one, going over to see him, doing what he does (eating if he eats, chewing on something if he does, napping if he does) but my older one seems a bit unsure, wants a bit of space. I'm going to try to leave them together all day in the bonding area as long as there are no major issues.

We had them together in the neutral area yesterday for about four hours and then we separated them overnight b/c I didnt feel they were settled yet. I've reintroduced them this morning in the neutral area as I"m working from home and they've been together for about three hours. The little one really seems to like my older one, going over to see him, doing what he does (eating if he eats, chewing on something if he does, napping if he does) but my older one seems a bit unsure, wants a bit of space. I'm going to try to leave them together all day in the bonding area as long as there are no major issues.

An insecure older piggy insisting on their own personal space is not unusual for the dominance phase, in which they are in by now. See how they are in the cage. Babies/youngsters are desperate for companionship and it is normal for them to go a bit overboard. As long as the youngster accepts when he is shrugged off and told to keep their distance, you should still be OK as there is no aggression in it.

Back