Older guinea pig nips at younger one whenever she moves

JJW&Pigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey! Its me again. My two guinea pigs have been bonded for 14 weeks now and they have been doing so well together! Although, I’ve tended to notice that when they’re close together, sometimes cuddling me, and whenever the younger one moves, even if its to just clean herself, the older one nips at her, and sometimes she’ll nip at her if she gets to close. I’m not sure if this is normal, but it seems excessive, but they still get along great, and they hate being separated, they’ll always try to find each other. Maybe this is an issue on my part, but I just want to make sure there isn't something else going on.

It may only seem excessive to a human eye but to them nipping is a way of communicating. If they get on well otherwise, then it’s not concerning

It may only seem excessive to a human eye but to them nipping is a way of communicating. If they get on well otherwise, then it’s not concerning
I know you said it was normal, but I thought I should provide a video as well, which I’m going to send as soon as it uploads

It doesn’t look brutal at all and the other sow doesn’t seem bothered. Sometimes top pigs feel the need to re-assert their place in the hierarchy as well.

It doesn’t look brutal at all and the other sow doesn’t seem bothered. Sometimes top pigs feel the need to re-assert their place in the hierarchy as well.
Okay, thank you. I didn’t necessarily think it was brutal, it just seemed excessive. The second I had one of them cuddle near me and place my arm in the middle of them, so they have their space, they were fine.

Back