Old fleece not wicking well anymore

4boipigs

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I have various pieces of fleece that is not wicking well anymore. Some fleece I bought used and some was brand new in 20 and 21. Pee will sit on top for an unknown amount of time before it finally sinks in. I use free n clear detergent only when I wash. I used to add vinegar, but when I ran out I never bought anymore. A while back I read on reddit that a fleece user experienced problems with 'pod' type detergent. I have been using a bag of 7th Generation pods, but before that I was using liquid. I also have put fleece in the dryer before, but have reduced that to either just a few minutes, or I just hang dry it without putting it in the dryer. Have I been doing something wrong and how can I fix this?

I did do a trial run with some fleece, where I go thru the process to make it wick again. I use dish soap, vinegar, and detergent. I don't have vinegar right now, so I just used the other two. It seems to have worked, but I don't want to go thru again or ruin my fleece.

I use just non bio liquid on mine at 30deg wash and put in drier for 30 mins, mine not that old but wash and dry well. What temperature are you washing at?

Hello! I have experience from before piggies from cloth diapering, and I use fleece bedding now. The fleece could benefit from being "stripped" which means you wash it a few times with no detergent on HOT water to strip away any detergent residue.

Using pods is probably not the best. Because the other trick to successful fleece (and diapers!) is to use less than half the normal amount of detergent. A pod is a "full dose" if that makes sense.

Id absolutely get some vinegar too! Hope that helps! Ive been using the same fleece since I first got my first pair in 2019.

Back